CHAPTER VIII

– S C O R P I O N –

She passed out in the fusion craft.

I stared at the blonde girl. Her hair was damp against her face as she slumped on the seat. She looked even more innocent in her sleep--her whole face was softened. I dragged my eyes away from her.

What the hell was she doing in Sector 48 anyway? She was damn lucky Diego was trailing her and informed me before I entered the fighting pit. If I hadn't showed up... Well she would probably be doing rounds in the slave trade by now–or potentially worse.

Suddenly she mumbled something I couldn't make out before turning her head and slumping onto my shoulder.

I froze.

Her warmth was radiating into me but it felt like an electric charge. Her breathing was slow and her scent hit me like a slap. It was sweet and citrus at the same time. I tried to edge away and keep some distance between us but she only smiled and nestled closer to my neck.

I grit my teeth.

She started mumbling unintelligible things again and I could feel the goosebumps travelling up my neck where her breath hit me. This was hell. It's like I was paralysed and being electrocuted at the same time.

I hardly took another breath the entire way back.

When my driver finally came through the intercom telling me we had arrived, I shot out the door letting her fall onto the seat. I doubt she even noticed... But I couldn't stand another second of that proximity–whatever the hell was going on needed to stop. The ruler of the Underworld did not have space in the day to worry about naive blondes wandering too far from Sector 1.

I let my cloak billow behind me in the high wind at the height of my keep. We were on the roof entrance of my building for craft access and my guards swept towards me.

"There's a girl in there. Get her out." I ordered them. They complied without question. But before I could step through the entrance they spoke.

"Shall we take her to the cells, Scorpion?" One asked.

It was usual for me to bring back enemies, not guests. For the disrespect she had shown me earlier... She should be in a cell. People have done less and received a death sentence. But those innocent blue eyes crossed my mind again in the hands of my personal guard–that damn pure gaze–

I groaned and pinched the bridge of my nose.

"Put her in a guest room." I said in a low voice without turning around.

They murmured their acceptance behind me and I strode back into my home, keen for this day to be over.

– M A K A Y L A –

I woke with a throbbing headache.

I groaned into my pillow and rolled onto my back. I opened my eyes slowly. Wait. What? They were not my pillows... And that was certainly not the modern luxury ceiling of my room. I shot upright and took in the surroundings.

It was completely unfamiliar. Still luxury... but a different kind. Shining wooden floors, bedposts with rich curtains, rugs–

Where the hell am I?

The night before was all a blur after I had left the fusion craft for Kuzo's. I hopped out of the bed and noticed that my clothes were at least still on.

God, the ball last night!

I hadn't even returned the same day. My father has probably torn the city apart searching for me. I saw my cloak hanging on the back of an ornate chair, so I grabbed it and slipped on my shoes by the door. I drew back the door slowly. Hopefully I could slip out of this mystery place without alerting my captors and grab a craft to Sector 1–

"Miss?" A deep voice sounded in the hall.

I almost jumped back into the room. I hadn't noticed anyone there. He was a tall and clean shaven man with intricate tattoos running down one side of his face.

"I am to take you to a craft and drop you off at your home." He said calmly, watching me with a pair of piercing steel eyes.

"I—that would be helpful." I stuttered a bit unsure. "Thank you." I added quickly.

"Please." He swept out a muscled arm for me to follow.

I didn't argue. There was something about this man that held both intelligence and lethality, it was almost as intimidating as--

The woman with the hellfire eyes.

She had stepped in last night... Stopped those men and brought me back. That was the second time now that she's spared me.

"The–the woman that brought me here—where is she? I just wanted to thank—" I tripped over words but my escort interrupted swiftly.

"There is no need." He said abruptly. "Scorpion is occupied in other affairs. She has asked that I escort you back as soon as you woke." He said formally.

"Oh. I see." I said. My heart sank slightly. I can't even remember if I thanked her last night... hopefully I wasn't rude in my drunken state. She seemed like someone you didn't want to be on the wrong side of.

We swiftly made our way onto the rooftop of the building. The wind swept around my hair as I approached the craft. The morning sun had risen and was painting the surrounding mismatched buildings on fire. I stepped inside the opened door and slipped into the black seats. My escort seated himself opposite and I looked out of the window to avoid his inquisitive gaze.

As the craft rose I noticed the roof entrance again. I could of sworn I saw the flash of a crimson cloak disappearing past the doors...