Chapter 35

MAARIAH'S POV

I had on a thin abaya, messed up make up, and a heart full of anxiety when Nabeel threw me out of the room. The door slammed behind me and I turned around to knock again. He hadn't given me my clothes, nor my make up and jewellery. He hadn't even let me wash up before I left.

When I approached the guest house, Husna immediately asked me what was wrong.
"Nothing, I'm just tired," I responded cheerfully.
I knew that this wouldn't fool her - she'd known me since I was a little child. She knew when I was upset and when I was lying. And she knew that something had happened
My conscience whispered to me, "You can't lie to her. She loves you. It will break her heart if she finds out"

The more rational side of me however, which won, knew that there was no way for her to know what had happened. She thought I was over him and she wouldn't ever expect that from me.

"Tell me what's wrong honestly, Maariah. You'll know I'll prise it out of you sooner or later," Husna stared at me. She didn't know that there was no prising this out of me. I wanted to put her at ease, though, so I mumbled, "I had a bit too many puffs of hookah last night. I guess it made me slightly emotional after the exhilaration."

"Come walk with me," she beckoned.

"How were you feeling, Maariah?"

My mind raced. I needed to think of something quickly. Lies filled my head and I carefully picked the most suitable and dramatic.

"It's just that, I was looking at you and Nabeel and I realised that, what if I don't have a happily ever after? What if no one likes me? What if I never get married? You're so lucky Husna, and I'm honestly so happy for you, but I feel sorry for myself. I don't think I'll ever be as good as you, ever."

Husna looked at me, surprised, and began to lecture me about how I was perfect beyond belief and I'd always be as happy as I was now.

As happy as I was now.

I couldn't even fathom happiness now.

The rest of her speech went over my head. All I could think about was the ashes of what I had razed to the ground.