Chapter 2 - The Mating Ball

I am met with an incredible smell as I walk through the doors of the ballroom. It smells like a bonfire on the beach with a hint of vanilla. I love it. 

Mate. 

I look around the ballroom trying to see if I can find him. The room is immaculate. The walls are covered with white curtains from floor to ceiling and lights sparkling off of them. Hundreds of tables are everywhere with gold tablecloths and large centrepieces with beautiful floral arrangements. It honestly looks like one of those fancy weddings you see featured in Four Weddings on TLC. I am so out of place here, it isn't even funny. 

Stop looking at the crap in the room and start looking for our mate, dumb ass. 

I growl before I start walking around the room, passing hundreds of men and women while I try to follow the amazing scent of my mate. However, I am rudely interrupted by a booming voice coming from the multiple speakers around the room. 

"If you all could rise, Alpha King Zane has arrived and would like to say a few words." The speaker yells into the microphone. It wasn't necessary, I mean it is a microphone. It already makes your voice loud. 

The speaker walks off the stage leaving a large and very handsome man. He was at least 6 and a half feet tall with beautiful tan skin and dark hair. His features were hard and there were lines starting to show around his beautiful brown eyes. He was wearing a navy blue suit with a black dress shirt that showed off his amazing physique. The Alpha King was a fine specimen. 

But he's not our mate. Ailith huffed. She didn't like me complimenting this man. 

"You may all be seated." And everyone rushed to a vacant chair, I included. 

"I want to welcome you all to the 64th Annual International Mating Ball." He paused as everyone cheered. "This is a fantastic opportunity for all of you unmated wolves to finally find your better halves. I just want to say a quick thank you to our hosts this evening, the North Maple Pack. We are truly grateful for everything you prepared here tonight. Now I don't want to take up any more of your time. Get up, socialize and find your mates!"

And that was it. Everyone jumped up and clapped as the Alpha King left the room. People started walking around, some already finding their mates. I saw some of my own pack members, the South Niagara pack, while I walked around trying to find my mate. I continued walking past people, looking at the various males, trying to figure out who here was meant for me. 

An hour went by, and still nothing. Ailith was pacing in my head out of irritation and I was slowly starting to give up. There were so many people here, it was so hard to find what was mine. 

Another hour went by and I was done. I went to go to the bathroom when I got a strong whiff of the bonfire and vanilla smell that I already loved. Before I could look around, I felt strong hands grab my shoulders and push me face first into a nearby wall. 

"Mine." The male behind me growled, still roughly holding onto my shoulders.

Mate. My wolf purred, already submitting in my head. 

He still wasn't releasing us from the wall and his grip was really starting to hurt. 

"Hi, my name is Skylar Griffin. I am so happy to find you, but could you release your death grip? It is really starting to hurt." I try to say with as much confidence as I can. Something about this male was really making me nervous, probably because he has me pushed up against a wall. I don't know. 

He growls, and flips me around so I am looking at him, still firmly holding me against the wall. He was tall. At least a foot taller than my five and a half foot height. His straight, black coloured hair was pushed to the side, probably from running his hands through his hair. His eyes were flashing between a cobalt blue and a pitch black, which means his wolf was fighting for control. He hadn't shaved in a while, making him have a more rugged appearance. He skin was tanned from the sun and showed light frown lines and creases on his forehead. His muscles were clearly on display in his tight, grey dress shirt and black dress pants. And then it hit me. 

Oh shit, it's the Alpha of the Death Moon Pack, Alpha Colton Myers. Everyone has heard of him. He has one of the largest and most powerful packs in all of Canada, possibly even all of North America. He is known for being harsh and ruthless. I've heard stories of how he treats rogues and lone wolves. And let's not forget the packs he has conquered in the past. People call him a murderer, monster, killer and Death himself. I cannot understand how he is my mate. We are nothing alike. 

"How are you my mate?" I blurt out. He scowls and grips harder on my shoulders causing me to cry out. Tears begin to form in my eyes as radiates down my arms and back. 

"The Goddess knew I needed an easy mate to control and that's where you come in." He says with a smirk. 

I growl, "Ain't gonna happen so I am gonna make this easy for ya. I, Skylar Griffin, reject you Alpha Colton Myers as my mate." Big mistake. Colton smashes my head against the wall, causing my head to spin and my legs to grow week. My vision is blurry and I feel his claws starting to pierce my skin. The scent of my blood is starting to invade my senses. How are people not seeing me and why is nobody helping me? Are people really that scared of this asshole?

Colton smirks again before leaning close to my ear. He says slowly and in a deep voice, "I reject your rejection, mate. You are mine and no one other than me can have you. You will be coming with me, tonight. So let me make this easier for you, Skylar Griffin." 

Pain. Terrible pain in the spot between my neck and collarbone. He was marking me! The asshole just rejected my rejection and marked me! What the fuck! I use all my might to try and push him off, but he is much stronger than me. I scream out to the people I hear passing me, but no one stops. Why don't the stop? Can't they see I don't want this?

"No. No. No. No!" I yell at Colton. I don't want this. I don't want to be bound to this man for the rest of my life. I don't want to be his. I continue to struggle against his grip. His claws are still in my shoulders and I can feel my blood dripping down. 

Finally, he retracts his teeth from my neck and pulls away slightly. 

"And that my darling, makes you mine." He whispers in my ear, causing me to shiver, and not in a good way. He lets go of me. I look at him in shock. How can this man treat me, his mate, this way? Isn't he supposed to love and cherish me? Is this some kind of joke? A test to see how strong I am? What is going on? 

And before I can continue that thought, I feel a pinch in my neck and fire in my veins. He injected me with silver. A werewolf's kryptonite. Tears sting my eyes and I begin to feel light headed. 

"Why...?" I ask before I fall into his arms and into darkness.