Chapter Five: Dixon

The morning sun beat down on my back as I sat next to Glenn, eating breakfast in total silence. It was apparent he was suffering from the events of yesterday, as it looked like he hadn't slept and he hadn't touched his food.

"Daryl is going to be pissed," I sighed starting the conversation.
Glenn nodded weakly and groaned, his head falling into his hands.
"He'll probably go on a rampage then try to rush down into the city to save him," He mumbled. I shrugged as my eyes made their way over to Rick, who was talking to Shane and Carol.

My eyes narrowed at the two cops wondering exactly what their relationship before this world was. Best friends? Associates? Partners? I also found my self wondering if they could take care of the Ed problem. Even though it's a new world, a new chaotic no rules world, I had to hope they would still go against the abusive prick. Daniel would of gone ahead and took care of the problem if he wasn't seriously outmatch.

Ed was twice my size, and I wasn't completely defenseless nor to scrawny. But I couldn't compete against Ed, hell the only guy I could probably take on a fight here and win was Glenn.

Turning my attention back towards my small breakfast, I took my last bite of packaged tunu when screams echoed throughout the camp. My eyes widened as I looked over to see Sophia running through the clearing in a panic. Close behind Carl followed yelling for his father.

I instantly stood up my eyes scanning the woods for any dead.
"There's a walker!" Jacqui exclaimed pointing out into the direction were he kids came. Wasting no time Glenn and I dashed into the RV, grabbing two baseball bats and rushing to where the walker supposedly was. Rick and Shane were close behind a hoe, and shovel in their hands.

"Daniel! Slow down!" Shane growled from behind. But I ignored the cop as I ducked under a tree branch right in front of a geek eating a deer. I skidded to a stop stunned from the intestines being pulled from the deers stomach.
As Glenn, Shane, and Rick appeared from behind me their heavy breathing alerted the dead, it's head turning towards me.

The geeks grey bloodshot eyes bore into mine, guts fell from the walkers mouth and it rose letting out an inhuman groan. My hands gripped around my baseball bat, taking a breath I charged forward and swung.

My bat hit the geek in the back, causing it to stumble and fall down. Rick, Shane, and Glenn were right behind me, and we started to hit, kick, and beat it furiously.
Shane brought down the shovel on the walkers neck, Decapitating it.

After we all caught are breaths Shane was suddenly in my face.
"That stunt you pulled yesterday is the cause of this! This is the closest one has gotten to camp!" He growled.
Adverting my eyes from his harsh glare I stepped backwards annoyed.

Before Shane could carry on, more rustling came from the trees

Before Shane could carry on, more rustling came from the trees. Narrowing his eyes, Rick took a step forward preparing for what was to come.

To my relief, it was the man with a crossbow, Daryl Dixon. My relief instantly fell away when I realized it was Daryl Dixon. Anxiety spread through my core as the redkneck walked into view.

"SHIT!" He exclaimed in annoyance walking next to the deer. I rose an eyebrow confused at his actions, until I saw the two arrows sticking out of the deers side.
"You think if we cut around this part right here," he said pointing to the neck, " We could use the rest?"

"Id have to say no," Dales voice sounded out causing me to turn around and see most the camp behind us, "Probably best to be safe."
The hillbilly shrugged, and began to to pull his arrows out.
The thought of Merle handcuffed to a roof flashed through my head causing my nerves to skyrocket.

By Daryl's feet, the decapitated walkers head started moving. Sighing Daryl looked at us, and at the head that was trying to bite his shoe.
"What the hell people? Don't y'all know anything?" He grunted out.
The four attackers looked down in shame, while Daryl slid an arrow into his crossbow and shot the head of the walker.

Tearing the arrow out, he shook the blood off it, he headed towards camp announcing he caught some squirrels.
"Is that?" Rick asked.
"Yeah, that there is Daryl Dixon... be careful he's a little hot headed," Shane informed Rick.
"Guess we better tell him about Merle," Glenn mumbled scratching the back of his head.

I turned around and walked past the group, I had decided last night that I needed to be the one that told Daryl. I was leading the group, my call and it was my fault.

As Daryl hollered for his brother, the guilt began to build up, until we were seemingly in the middle of camp. Where everyone could see the confrontation go down... fantastic.
"Daryl! We need to talk," I said shakily from behind him.
The hillbilly swiftly spun on one heel, one eyebrow raised.
"Yeah, later. Do ya know where Merle's at Smitty?"
"Actually thats what I need to talk to you about..."
Daryl motioned me to continue with an annoyed expression on his face.

"The run went south, we were trapped in a convince store... Merle didn't make it out with us."

Daryl's face swept through a wave of emotions, before settling on a covered mask of sadness.
"Is... is he dead?" Daryl asked his country accent becoming thicker.
I sighed in frustration knowing that the next words to come out of my mouth were going to piss him off. But I couldn't lie, and tell him yes. So I find my self saying, " I don't know."

"You don't know?" Daryl asked angrily, "So you just left him!?"
"Daniel didn't! I did," T-Dog interjected walking  towards us, " He was handcuffed onto the roof... I went to get him out and I tripped over a box of tools man... the key slipped out of my hand."

Daryl started pacing in his anger, and grief and exclaimed, " You couldn't pick it up?"
Sighing T-Dog clarified, "I dropped it down a drain pipe."
"So ya mean to tell me that you left my brother chained to a roof of sum building like a animal!? WHY WAS HE EVEN CHAINED UP!?"

"Your Brother was out of control, drawing more of the walkers towards us by shooting off rounds on the roof! Started to fight with the group and almost jeopardized us getting out alive," Rick added in.
"Who the hell are you?" Daryl spat walking up to Rick glaring at the cop.
"Rick Grimes."
"Well Rick Grimes!" Daryl snarled, " Tell me where he's at! So I can go get em."

"Woah, woah, woah!" Shane exclaimed, " Were not  risking the lives of anyone here to go get your brother back. He knew he risk."
"Y'all the ones that left em there in the first place!" Daryl argued before turning to Rick, " So where is he!"

From the RV Lori interjected where most the women were sitting.
"He'll show you," She informed  Daryl before making eye contact with Rick, " Ain't that right?"
Rick bit his tongue for a second, before nodding slowly, "I'm going back," He announced.

My head snapped over towards Lori shocked to see her clearly upset, and go stomp away from the scene. Did she not just tell Rick to go get Merle back? Why the hell is she so annoyed and pissed off about it.
Biting my tongue and choosing not to create less conflict I told Morales I'd take over for him on watch, letting me stare off at the city line wondering how I'd make it through this.

Short chapter but the next one is gonna be extra long to make up for it