57

"This will help him sleep," Aun said. She trickled potion from a cup into Kaori's slack mouth. The prince was delirious with pain and did not seem to know where he lay or what had happened. He peered up at Aun's face as if trying to remember who she was.

"Come now. Swallow a little, sweet," said Aun. She used the same gentle tone she had used for all her patients that night, although Kaori was an enemy. "There. Good."

"Can you help him?" Mhera asked. She was afraid to touch Kaori. He did not seem to see her, although his eyes turned in her direction at the sound of her voice.

"I will try. Will you see to Uachi?"

Uachi had taken a seat in the corner. He had his head leaned back against the wall and had closed his eyes. The dark paint he wore ran in streaks down his face.

Mhera did not want to touch him. She clenched her hands into fists at her sides.

"Mhera. I will try to help your prince. But these people need help, too." She gestured to the the room as a whole. There was Uachi, and there were others still lying in their cots. More would probably come, and soon. "Shall I tend to them, or will you?"

Mhera knew she did not have the skills to help Kaori. He needed Aun. He needed her magic to undo what magic had done to him. "Please don't let him die. Please, Aun."

"If I can save him, I will," she replied. "And any other Starborn wounded. The battle is done. Here—just help me take off his clothes, and then see to the others while I work."

Between them, Mhera and Aun managed to strip him to the waist. Aun brought a lamp to the side table and pulled a chair up so she could sit and see the wounds. Then she applied herself to removing the debris. This alone looked like it could take hours.

Sashta came in just as Aun had settled to the work. "Aun. We've more wounded in the longhouse."

"Take what you need," said Aun, not looking up. "Are there Starborn wounded?"

"Aye, nearly a dozen. We have them under guard."

"See that you care for them as you can."

"Will you come?"

"When I am able. Ask for Tryn to help you. She has some experience, though she can't be said to be gentle."

There was a silence. "Aun."

Aun looked up at Sashta, who shook her head. Aun closed her eyes for a moment. "May her soul find peace."

"May it be so," Sashta whispered. "Torr, also. So many others. We won't know the whole of it ... not until morning." The woman began to gather supplies for the longhouse as she spoke.

Mhera received the news of Tryn's death, and Torr's, with a pang of shock. They were faces she had known, although neither of them had been kind to her. Knowing they were dead produced in her heart a feeling that was not quite grief, but, strangely, was not far from it.

She pushed this all aside to consider later and set herself to her part of the bargain: seeing to Uachi's wounds. Crossing by Sashta, she began to gather the materials she needed: water, a clean cloth, and a poultice Aun had prepared while they worked during the battle.

When she came to Uachi's side, he did not move. "I'll wait," the ranger said without opening his eyes. "For Aun."

Mhera set the things on a table next to him. "You will let me see to you," she said. She was surprised that her voice did not shake. If she must do this so Aun could help her cousin, she would. She would not let the rebellion steal another of her family members from her. She was not close to Kaori, but he was her blood, and she loved him, and he did not deserve to die.