Wattpad Original

Chapter 5

"If you need a break, I can carry her for a bit," Tom panted from behind me.

His comment actually made me chuckle. I couldn't remember the last time I had chuckled; it had probably been back when my eyes had been light brown. The chuckle had also caused me to unclench my jaw for the first time since putting Liz on my shoulders.

To my surprise, I had become slightly desensitized to their scent during the last hour of hard walking. The virus still sang for their blood, but it was easier to tune out. With the bloodlust still present, there was no way I could lower my guard since a one-second slip in control would spell disaster for both me and them.

I paused and glanced back at the two exhausted adults with a smirk. "By the time I tire enough to put her down, you'll have collapsed."

After stepping over a fallen log, I kept walking.

"I know she is helping us," Tom muttered to Marissa, "but I think she's a bit of a jerk."

Even though they had remained mostly polite, all my responses to their polite overtures had been gruff and blunt. Admittedly, I hadn't replied to any of their questions since picking up Liz.

Marissa replied softly, "She probably just isn't used to being around people after so long. She may be rough around the edges, but she could have easily left us behind."

Tom grunted and stumbled as he nearly tripped over something, likely a tree root. I ignored their conversation; a normal human wouldn't have heard their quiet whispering.

We were getting closer to the cabin, but it was still at least half an hour away. I wasn't even sure if we'd make it there before it got completely dark. If these two have enough breath to talk, then we are clearly not going fast enough. I picked up my pace slightly, forcing them to walk faster.

Yeah, I was a bit of a jerk.

~

       The last leg of the journey passed far too slowly for me. I was trying to keep my annoyance at bay, but it was a losing battle. I wasn't used to putting conscious effort into every step I took in order to appear human. On top of that, I had already stifled half a dozen growls, and they had barely been speaking. My constant hold on my control due to their mere presence was an irritant as well. Nightstalkers in general were prone to irritation. Very prone.

Thankfully, the two behind me were saving their breath to try and keep up with our faster pace, although they frequently stumbled over roots and sticks in the rapidly fading light.

I had to give them credit for their determination though. They weren't going to be left behind easily, even if they had to push themselves to the point of collapse. Liz occasionally swayed from side to side as she struggled to remain awake, but she never spoke a word.

Somehow, Tom found enough breath to mutter, "I think she must have been a drill sergeant before the world went to shit. They push you right to the breaking point with no remorse."

I was somewhat amused that Marissa once more stuck up for me. "If she had no remorse, she wouldn't let us stop for a short break every half-hour."

Tom didn't reply, possibly breathing too hard to utter more words. Liz began shivering as the temperature dropped but didn't complain. Their silence was wise with the fading light. Most zombies didn't see well at night, although that wouldn't stop them from trying to locate something they heard or smelled. It was rare to run into zombies in the middle of the forest like this, and thankfully, we hadn't encountered any so far.

Apart from their loud footsteps and heavy breathing, the faint burbling of the creek we were walking beside was the only thing that broke the silence. The cabin was along its banks, so we wouldn't have to search for it.