Chapter 32

We're over 33k now fam, and I honestly cried when I saw that. The most I was hoping for was like 5k, but ya'll have given me hope. 

Thank you for reading this far!

I tried to read through my own story, but it was so boring (to me) so I just stopped. Btw, school is starting back up soon and that means more time for study (I study at least 3 hours a day) and less time for updates. I'll still try to update weekly, but we'll see.

Have fun~

___

It seemed the universe just wouldn't give me a break. Too much shit had been happening, right after each other that there had better be a pot of gold at the end of this horrible rainbow. Seamus and dad came back ten minutes after Viper arrived, loading the ingredients on the counter as I started peeling and cutting the potatoes. 

Seamus came into the kitchen, silently picking up a peeler as I went through the motions, mind going a million different places at once. What could my adoptive parents want from me now, at this time? 

Was it something small, like attending a ball or going to a fundraiser? Or was it something big, like when they had tried to marry me off to some rich guy who would increase their business connectivity? 

Ugh. The guy they had set me up with- when I was old enough to date and still at home- was twenty four and had a weird mustache. Like, musketeer weird mustache. But it was in his eyes, the greed for more than a teenager would give. 

If they tried to get me to do something like that again, no. Straight, no. And if they tried to touch my family....that was a different matter. 

"Corin?" 

Startled at Seamus's sudden question, I looked up, pausing my cutting. "Yeah?" 

He paused for a moment, narrowing his eyes before continuing. "What are you thinking about?" 

My face scrunched up. "Nothing important. Can you pass me the salt?" 

Seamus gave me sidelook but accepted the change of subject, grabbing the spicerack for me. 

The rest of the night was normal, just with a lot more people. Viper filled dad and the rest of the men what was happening, earning a few enraged glares from Deadeye and the gang. 

"Why have your adoptive parents put a price on your head to be found?" Dad asked, turning to me. 

"They want something from me most likely. And since they're putting a price on it, it must be big." My voice was distant and detached, something I didn't want to deal with. 

"Have they wanted you to do anything in the past?" Slater asked, an edge to his usually cheerful voice. 

I shrugged a shoulder, inching myself away from them. "Just attend balls, fundraisers and things like that. No big deal, I'll call them later on tonight." 

I wasn't a good liar normally, but when I tried- no one would know. Apart from, possibly, Deadeye. That one good eye saw everything

The door opened and Ripper walked in, nodding to all the members, but ultimately relaxing his stiff form when his eyes came to mine. I gave him a small smile and his brows furrowed, stalking over to where I sat and taking the seat next to me. 

"I know about the price on your head." He gave me a searching look with his amber gaze, wrapping an arm around my waist. I leaned into him and sighed, nuzzling my head into his chest. 

"Can we talk about something else? Please, just for tonight?" The was a quaver in my voice and everyone quietened, then began small chatter about different things, appeasing to my wishes.

 "Pres, I'm taking Corin home. I'll see you later" Ripper stood, taking my hand and guiding me out the door as I trailed behind him. Calling the Kanes was something I really didn't want to do, especially since it meant I would finally know what they wanted from me. 

Ripper drove us both home, and we fell onto our bed as soon as we could get to our room. He leaned on an elbow and watched me, trailing a rough finger down my face. I sighed, moving closer to him so his body heat warmed mine. Like my own personal fire. 

I grabbed my phone, sitting up and pulling him up with me. He wrapped his arms around my waist as I called my adoptive parents, no doubt hearing the hammering of my heart. 

They picked up immediately. 

"Corin?" It was Drake Kane, my adoptive father. He was a diligent, calm man who had a vicious streak that was shown to anyone who may have slighted him in a small way. An admired businessman with a knack for everything financial- he was rich, powerful and accustomed to getting his own way. Kinda like me. 

"Yeah. It's me." 

He mumbled something to someone else, and then replied. "We haven't heard from you in three years, what happened?" 

I shrugged even though he couldn't see me. "We've gone longer without speaking" 

He sighed into the phone. "Where are you?" 

As if he didn't know. "Well, you've alerted all American and Irish Biker Clubs about me, so I assume you have some idea of where I am. What do you want?" 

"I see- still as observant as always. We want you to meet an...acquaintance of mine" 

Ah. "Is the acquaintance single, wealthy and able to give you some sort of business connection through a coincidental marriage?" 

He chuckled through the reciever, amused by my assumptions. "Yes, you're quite right. We want you to at least date him" 

I sighed. "I'm taken. Very much taken and very much happy. I'm sorry that I'm unable to help you after all you've done for me, but I'm not going to even entertain the thought of dating another man when I am very much in love with my own." 

There were a few moments of tense silence, slowly becoming colder with each second. "Hmmm. Are you sure you won't change your mind?" There was an edge to his voice, a lilt I didn't trust. 

I straightened, moving to stand. "What else do you have planned?" I murmured. 

Drake laughed, the sound low. "Just have dinner with us, with your lover. Lila and I want to meet him, especially if he is able to tame the one person we couldn't." 

"You didn't care enough to even try tame me. But fine, when will you next be in Galway?" 

"Next week. I'll text you the place and time."

"Yes. And if you bring the acquaintance, I'm not responsible for what my lover might do. Good bye." 

I sighed and put the phone on the bedside table, moving my attention to the big man stretched out, watching me with a frown on his beautiful face. 

"What's happening?" 

I fell into his arms, moving my face near his. "We've got a dinner next week. With my 'parents.'" 

His brows scrunched, arms coming around me and pulling me forward gently. "Nothing's going to happen sugar. I'll be there." 

And even though his words soothed me, there was still an inkling of doubt. 

The universe wasn't ready to let up- and we both knew it.