28.

Meeting Ryder's family...

We are standing on the sidewalk outside of his house. It's a medium sized two-story brick house with a wraparound porch. It's adorable and inviting.

"I didn't live here most of my life. My mom and I lived in a basement apartment and the landlord was this old lady who had fifteen cats." He tells me, "that is what I think of when I think of home. Not this place."

Ryder sighs and grabs my hand tighter. I can tell he's nervous but I don't understand why. I promised to be on my best behavior even though Ryder didn't ask me to be.

"Why are you freaking out?" I ask turning so I'm in front of him. I wrap my arms around his waist and lean my head on his shoulder.

He kisses the top of my head and sighs, "I don't know. I don't fit in there. I wish we went to a restaurant or something."

I look up at him and he kisses my lips, "we just have to make it through one night and then we don't have to see them until the wedding."

His eyes widen, "our wedding? Addison, are you proposing?"

"What? No! Your cousin's wedding! God, Ryder. You know the one we're both invited to?" I keep rambling.

He laughs, "I know. I'm kidding. You'll propose to me when you're ready."

He starts walking towards the house without me. I run to catch up with his long strides, "you have to propose to me. I'm not doing it."

"Sure, Addison, sure," Ryder smirks at me and continues up to the front door. I'm glad that our conversation seem to have taken his mind off what we are about to do. It's odd to see Ryder unsure of himself.

We stand at the doorway and wait for someone to answer the door. I just walk right in to my dad's house, unless I forget a key. It's at that moment that I realize how he truly does feel like an outsider. How it went from him and his mom to this new family and he still hasn't figured out where he fits in. It's upsetting to see the way his hands are in tense fits at his side and how he keeps looking at me then back to the door like he his planning our escape route.

I almost grab his hand and haul him out of there but then the door opens. And standing there is a young boy. The same young boy who looked confused and unsure at the hospital.

"Hey, Nick," Ryder says smiling at him. When Nick smiles I can see they have almost the same smile. Ryder relaxes on a little bit when we walk into the front door and his mom his standing waiting for us.

"How are you feeling?" she asks rushing over to Ryder and looking at him from all angles like she could see if he wasn't fully healed. I can tell by the way she hugs him that she loves him and probably wishes things were different.

Ryder smiles, "I'm better. I started back at work a couple weeks ago. Addy this is my mom Sara, Mom this is Addy.

"Hi, Addy, nice to see you again," Ryder's mom says politely, "under better circumstances."

"And this is my step-father Nick," Ryder says. His tone doesn't change much but I can tell he gets a little more guarded when his step-dad walks in.

Ugh. I hate when people name their kids after themselves. It just adds unnecessary confusion to everyone's life. Okay, maybe that's a tad dramatic. But it is pretty dumb. Ryder and I will not be naming our son Ryder.