Ch. 1: Ice Cold Skin

Wednesdays is this book's update day!

Jack twitches suddenly, feeling like someone just grabbed his hair and pulled on it. He looks beside him seeing no one is there, but there is no mistaking the worry spread across his face. He shifts in his seat uncomfortably and looks at his computer screen and at the map that surrounds his character in Prop Hunt. His friends voices drown out and is replaced by ringing in his ears. Jack grits his teeth and puts his face in his hands after he rips his headphones off his head and pushes back in his seat. Jack groans feeling a sting of pain hit his head and hears a voice on the other side of the room. He looks to the right seeing no one. But he can hear Wade calling his name in the headphones. Jack takes a depe breathe in.

'I...I can pass this off as an anti edit in post.' Jack thought. Jack picks his head up and grabs his headphones. He hesitates before he slips them on only to get Mark's scream erupt in his ears. He looks back at the computer screen seeing a fish run pass him followed by Wade shooting an gun at the fish. Jack bites his bottom lip and turns his character around making the character run after Wade saying nothing as Wade asks Jack what's wrong. Jack's eyes move away from the screen and down at the keyboard feeling an overwhelming sense of exhaustion hit him. Jack sighs and looks back at the screen. Then Mark's voice fills his head.

"Jack, you okay there?" Mark asks. Jack puts his foot up on his seat.

"I'm sorry guys, I'm just really tired right now." Jack said. The screen goes into a loading screen.

"Ohh...did you want to stop?" Bob asks. Jack shakes his head but doesn't speak so Mark does instead.

"If you want to stop we can. You can go get some sleep." Mark said. Jack puts his arms around his leg feeling guilty for ruining their recording. But he looks up at the screen.

"Yeah, I'm sorry." Jack said. Mark chuckles a little.

"It's fine man. Go get some sleep. The three of us will do something else." Mark said. Jack smiles a little and once he gets his goodbyes done he leaves skype and then looks at the camera.

"Robin, can you do a anti edit on that whole thing at the end and then just cut to black? Thanks." He said. He turns off the recording and quickly gets the recording together and sends it off to Robin to be edited. Jack turns off his computer and gets up. He turns off the lights and leaves the room. He stops in the hallway and looks around. He coughs and walks to his kitchen. But then he gets a dizzy spell and grabs the counter for balance when he hears his girlfriend, Signe, get up from the living room. Jack groans and puts his hand on his head. Signe walks over to him.

"Hey, Sean. You okay?" She asks. Jack coughs  and stares at the table.

"Not feeling too good." Jack said. Signe moves Jack's arm around her neck.

"Let's go upstairs then." Signe said. She moves and Jack grips the table.

"But I'm hungry." Jack whined. Signe chuckles. She grabs Jack's shirt.

"I'll bring you something then, you need to rest. You can barely stand." She said. Jack looks at Signe. Signe pulls on him. "Come on. No more arguing." She helps Jack get up the stairs and he crawls into bed starting to shiver and cough violently.

"S-Signe." Jack said with a raspy voice. Signe looks at him shocked at the use of her real name since he always used one of his nicknames for her. Signe moves her brown hair behind her ear and walks around the bed.

"Yeah?" She asks. Jack looks at her.

"It's c-cold in here." Jack said quietly. Signe smiles a little and crawls onto the bed. She touches his arm feeling that he is trembling while his skin is ice cold all of a sudden. She loses her smile.