Reckoning and Retribution

Chapter 5—Reckoning and Retribution

Claire

Claire couldn't breathe and thought she might hyperventilate right there in the coffee shop. A second ago, she felt her world was falling apart because she might lose Shane. Now, some ridiculously sexy, beautiful, strong female just arrived clearly intent on finding Myrnin.

Wait, that shouldn't bother me, she mentally chastised herself.

Claire felt the room start to spin lightly, and flung her hand out, to grasp at the back of Eve's turned chair, to steady herself. Eve felt the chair rock, "Hey!" She looked at Claire with worried eyes. "You don't look so good. We should get you home. You will feel much better with Shane taking care of you. The selflessness will be good for him." Eve smirked.

Claire felt another wave of shame and guilt wash over her.

Eve went to say goodbye to Oliver, whose mood must have turned quite dark because Eve was irritated when she came back. "I don't know what crawled up his butt and died. I told him you weren't feeling well, so I was going to head out five minutes early, and he nearly bit my head off!" Anger flashed in Eve's eyes. "Five minutes! It's not like I called in sick for the whole day..."

Claire knew Eve was still talking by the gentle hum of her words, but couldn't force herself to listen. Oh! She had to go home now. And face Shane.

Claire couldn't remember any details about the ride home. She looked up and saw the welcoming, if not a bit run down, with its slightly crooked and one hanging precariously by a single nail shutters; Glass House. It was one of the original founder homes that Amelie had had built in Morganville, named after the one family to ever own it over the years, including its current owner, Michael Glass.

Her mind was numb from the strain of worrying and she felt like she was on autopilot or having some out of body experience, as they walked through the front door; Claire idly recalled the snap of the door locks behind her.

Not trusting her current mental faculties, Claire stopped to let her senses take in the surroundings. She could hear boyish laughter and the smell of brisket tacos coming from the kitchen; Shane must have brought home barbeque from work. Then a loud thump on the wall, followed by even louder laughter, as the kidding-around must have gotten physical.

Claire thought she might be able to sneak up the stairs to bed before Shane saw her, but knew that would only delay the inevitable. He would eventually find her and she wasn't sure if she could bear it any better, surrounded by the previously shared intimacy of her bedroom. She forced herself to get a grip on her emotions and smiled thinly as Shane walked out of the kitchen. She almost lost her battle for control when his face transformed into an expression of unguarded happiness, the look he saved just for her – that revealed a side of him completely masked to others behind his tough, ready to fight, exterior.

"Hey!" Shane started; his features changing to concern, as he took in her mood, "What's wrong?"

"Oh, she ate some nasty fried chicken at lunch and now it's coming back to haunt her" Eve offered, on her way toward the kitchen, before Claire could answer. "Do you want me to get you a Coke or something to settle your stomach?" Eve called, her voice muffled as she rummaged through the refrigerator.

"I'd love a Coke, thanks!" Shane called back with a grin.

Michael walked out of the kitchen, his arms full; followed closely by Eve who was carrying a plate full of tacos, and precariously balancing two Cokes in the crook of her arm. She flashed a quick look at Shane, "Jackass!" she said as she handed Claire the Coke and settled at the table.