Chapter 6- Don't Stop Me Now

I was horrified. Utterly and completely horrified.

Dumas stood in front of me with a smug grin on his too good looking face, looking down at my shorter form. I wasn't short- he was just stupidly tall. 

"I'll see you at your house after school. Don't get too excited." He gave me a wink and a sickly sweet grin, then walked off to his friends who waited for him at the door, all of them giving me suggestive grins. In no way would I be excited for that tool to come to my house, work his machinations on my adoptive parents and most likely, paint me to be some sarcastic asshole- even though I was. 

I beat my head against my locker door, inwardly crying at the prospect of Dumas invading my space. Stupid Carlisle, inviting that stupid Barnie into our stupid house. My adoptive father had some epiphany that he wanted the Sheriff's son to come over after school, not only for tutoring, but for dinner too. 

Lord save me. Three of the most obnoxious, arrogant people I knew were going to unite around the table and a common roastee. Me. 

"Violence is not okay- especially towards yourself" Belinda's voice startled me and I jumped back, rubbing my head. I groaned out loud, grabbing her shoulders. 

"Save me Belinda, you have to." 

She raised both brows. "Why?" 

"Carlisle invited Dumas over for dinner. For dinner. I don't want him there, I have other things to do rather than get subtly roasted by Dumas." 

Belinda laughed, patting me on the back. "You'll survive. I doubt that boy has ever had someone talk back to him with an obvious disgust as much as you do- besides, your adoptive parents will stick up for you, right?" 

I gave her a dead look. "Sure, my adoptive parent's are balls of sunshine and love, always willing to make me feel secure, loved and happy." I threw my hands up, supplicating any god that might be up there. 

And, to make matters worse, I had an applied Mathematics seminar today- one that took a lot of hard work to get into. I can't believe I was missing out on that, for a tutoring session I didn't even need and a dinner that was guaranteed to suck the life out of my soul. 

Belinda fell into step beside me, and we walked to English, on time for once. 

___

It was the dreaded part of the day. The one where Dumas followed me home in his Porsche. I struggled not to 'accidentally' reverse into his car, or 'accidentally' run him over as he walked across the parking lot to get to his car. 

God knew what I wanted to do. 

When he hopped into his car, he tailed me back to the monstrosity of extravagance I called my living abode. It was a huge, two story complex that was made completely of too expensive materials and palm trees leading up the driveway. I could feel Dumas's amazed face as we parked at the head, and I jumped out, already walking inside. 

Both Caroline and Carlisle wouldn't be home until seven, so the only people home were Jerry the butler and Veron the chef. Jerry was a cool dude in his fifties, and had been with the Lux family for years. He had silver hair and a kindly smile, usually bringing me hot chocolate whenever he heard my parents say something...asshole ish. 

Veron was cool too, and liked being a private chef. He said, 'your parents pay me pretty well, and I don't mind being a kitchen bitch for them.' He was the one I usually did my homework around, since he wasn't too hard on the eyes either. 

"Miss Circe, welcome home" Jerry said, bowing from the waist and dressed impecabbly in his footman suit. I gave him a big smile and shrugged off my hoodie, stretching out my arms in the cropped tank top I was wearing. Jerry took my hoodie and gestured to the kitchen. 

"Mr Veron has made you and the guest afternoon tea." 

I grinned at Jerry, patting him on the back. "How's your day been?" 

He gave me a mock sigh, hand on heart. "So, so lonely and no one for company but that nincompoop Veron" 

I laughed, cutting it short when Dumas walked in. Jerry noticed my immediate change and gave me a thoughtful look before greeting him. 

I walked into the kitchen, taking a seat at the counter and humming as the smell of fresh bread and pumpkin soup. 

"Veron, my lord and savior, how did you know?

Veron turned his head and grinned, giving me a saucy (pun intended) wink. He ran a hand through his mahogany hair and leaned on the bench in front of me. "How's my favourite gal's day going?" 

I gave a pointed look to where Dumas stood, corrupting my butler with his funny talk, and scowled. "He might be even more of a tool than you" 

Veron nodded, understanding. "He looks like it. Is he the honoured guest that means I have to make a three course meal by myself?

I gave him a grin and nodded, patting his shoulder. "Sorry Ver, but please give me my soup now." 

He served two bowls of soup and the side plate of freshly made herb twist bread, bowing gracefully as if he were some magician chef.

I leaned forward and cleared my throat, puckering my lips as Ver laughed. "Your payment sir" I pecked him on the cheek, swiping another piece of bread out from under him. 

A throat cleared at the doorway and I sighed, already knowing Mr Piss on my Parade was here. Dumas had both brows as he looked between Veron and I, clearly making assumptions that weren't right. Veron and I had this little flirting thing going ever since he found out I liked older men, but it was like kissing my brother when we tried it out once. 

And I'm not an inbred, so it definitely didn't feel right. 

Veron raised his eyebrow at me and I shrugged, falling back onto my seat to start eating. 

"Are you together?" His voice was disbelieving and just a tad too surprised, the kind that makes you want to be petty. But being petty and going along with his predetermined conclusions would make more trouble for Vernon in the long run, so it wasn't worth it. 

"Dumb ass- I mean, Dumas, we're not together even though it's none of your business." My tone was biting and I gestured to the food. "Now eat your soup before my hospitable nature ends" 

Dumas scoffed, getting a spoonful of soup. "I'd hate to see your bedside manners" 

I snorted, finishing my soup and pushing it out for another serving. Dumas pulled out his books, getting all the tutoring materials needed ready. 

Veron eyed the formula sheets, giving me a look. "These are easy formula for Cir-" 

I quickly slapped him on the back, laughing outrageously like some anime character. "Carry on cooking, maid."Veron gave me a mock angry look, but smirked, stirring the pot and adding more ingredients to store later in the fridge for my late night snacking. 

Dumas watched us with narrowed eyes, moving his attention to me as I looked over the worksheets with a more forced expression than usual. 

"How does this theorem work? In a practical sense?" My question was rushed, but it diverted Dumas's thoughts from what Veron was about to say. I glanced at the chef, who was watching me with a confused expression, then went back to his work. 

And I listened to Dumas, wondering what he was thinking as he guided me through the theorem. 

He knew something was up. Or was he just going to brush it off?