Chapter 25

Pain is an old friend.

For all his years of practice, remaining serene whilst consumed by his aching jaw, throbbing bite wounds, and rope-chafed ankles and wrists proved easier said than done.

Jaden had woken up in a dungeon cell, stripped of his belongings except for his boots and trousers. Being tied up, he shuddered in the cold, unable to move to keep himself warm. The stench of many human beings packed together and deprived of hygiene brought a surge of nausea.

Eventually, a guard unlocked the door. Sturdy, broad-featured, hair cropped short, he sported the black and blue uniform and had his sword sheathed in a silver-lined scabbard. There was something familiar about him.

"Did we train at the barracks together?" Jaden winced, sharp pain lancing his jaw as he spoke. He crawled away so that he could lean against the cold stone wall.

"I think so," the guard said.

"Wait, I remember your name . . . Caleb, isn't it?"

"You have a good memory."

Well, you did beat me up a few times with Kemon and the others. Slightly hard to forget.

Caleb stepped forward and Jaden instinctively tried to move his arms, only to remember they were tied behind his back. All he accomplished was worsen the chafing of his wrists.

"What does our esteemed queen want from me now?" Jaden asked.

"If you answer my question, I won't hurt you," Caleb said.

"Then I shall make it my priority to answer it, Caleb."

"Good," he said. "The catalyst. How does it work?"

Jaden briefly closed his eyes. "I don't know."

The guard stepped forward again, now less than a pace away. He clenched then raised his fist in warning.

"Wait," said Jaden. "Am I allowed a question?"

Caleb blinked, the fist hovering. "Um, I'm not sure. This isn't usually my department. I reckon it's all right."

"Why does the queen believe I know how to use that godforsaken thing?"

"She said you did use it. The dogs attacked you and you stopped them. She wants to know how."

Is that truly what happened?

"I've got to give her an answer," Caleb said.

Jaden nodded. "I understand, trust me. She can be quite scary."

Caleb raised his fist again.

"A piece of advice," Jaden said. "If you wish to impress your superiors, you should fetch some torture tools. Research more advanced techniques."

"Shut your mouth, bastard!" Caleb's fist shook with the intent to strike. Clearly Jaden's attempt at stalling was a massive fail.

"All right," Jaden said, "I admit it, I was wrong. Your technique is flawless, I shall talk."

"Then talk!"

"Would you happen to have parchment and ink?" Jaden inquired.

"Why in the gods' names would I have that on me?"

"To write it down, of course."

Caleb's eyes narrowed in confusion. "To write what down, bastard?"

"Quite the uninventive insult," Jaden pointed out.

"I'll knock your teeth out!"

"There's a spell," Jaden said, "to activate the catalyst. And it's a bit long, so I believe you should fetch parchment, quill and ink to jot it down."