Scene Thirty-One

**Author's Note: Hello, all!  You're probably wondering A - where I've been for the last six months and B - why the scenes have skipped over 30 to 31.  Well.  Many answers could be given for A, but the one I'll leave you with is that I just haven't felt like writing.  I'm very sorry if you've been hoping for a continuation of the story, but I'm guessing you've kept yourself better occupied than worrying what I've been up to.  As for B - I can't seem to write Scene 30 right now.  It shouldn't be difficult, but I'm completely blocked.  So, I'm skipping ahead.  All we're missing is the actual playing of the dating game, which I don't think is super important.  Scene 31  is what is needed to move the story forward and hopefully get me over my writer's block.  Anyway - I hope you enjoy!

***********************************************************************

"All that's left is to choose your date for the evening!" Keith announced, more to the camera than to Maisie.  She looked toward the screen separating her and the four potential Darcys and wished she hadn't agreed to this.  Not a single one had given an answer that sparked her interest and all seemed like unabashed jackasses.  But she had an obligation.  Buzzfeed paid for her flight and lodging and arranged the reservations for a date with the winner of this silly game.  She opened her mouth to answer, but Keith spoke again before she could.

"Of course, that would be too easy, wouldn't it?  The whole point of Pride and Prejudice was that Elizabeth had to look past her own prejudices, right?  Her best friend could tell right away that Darcy would be a good match for her, so we're going to ask your best friend to make the decision for you.  Talia, step on down!"

Maisie's mouth gaped and Talia, for once in her life, looked too shy to answer the call.  She hung back, shrinking into the shadows created by the bright lights needed to film.

"Oh come on, now!  You know her better than anyone right?" Zach appealed, waving Talia over.  Maisie spotted a Buzzfeed employee give her friend a slight push.  Talia finally stepped forward and came to Maisie's side with a smile.

"No one knows Maze like I do."

"Exactly!  Tell us, which of these guys has the most potential to be your friend's very own Mr. Darcy?"  Keith gestured to the other side of the screen.  Shifting on her heels, Talia glanced down at Maisie, who was still perched on a stool.

"Well... Please don't kill me, Maisie, but it's gotta be Darcy #4."

As hard as she tried, Maisie could not stop the groan from escaping her lips.  #4 had been unpleasant, and downright rude in several of his answers.  From the other side of the screen, she heard, "It's not a cup of tea for me, either."

"Are you kidding me right now?" Maisie jumped off her stool and tried to go around to confront the jerk, but the TryGuys and Talia stood in her way.

"Listen, Maze.  I know you can't see him, but physically he's definitely your type.  Plus, he seems annoying, but I think it's a sense of humor you'll actually enjoy once you get used to it."

"He doesn't want to go out with me, you just heard him."

"Who wouldn't want to go out with you?" Eugene said, slinging his arm around her shoulders.  "We've got Hamilton tickets for you, and a reservation at ABC Kitchen for after."

"Hamilton tickets?" Number 4 and Maisie exclaimed at the same time.

"See, you have something in common," Talia said, giving Maisie's arm a squeeze.  "Um, can I get Hamilton tickets, too?" she said quietly to Eugene.

"We got you covered," he whispered back.

"Alright, alright, enough foreplay.  Maisie, meet your Mr. Darcy: Caleb Meeks!"  Keith gestured Maisie forward and at the same time, a tall man appeared from around the screen.  They nearly walked straight into each other.

Caleb extended his hand to shake hers, but Maisie gasped, "You?!" instead of taking it.