Chapter 14: Brother

I watched Devin being taken away as I grew more furious. Joshua began snapping pictures, making Devin upset as he was led away by the police. I'm sure Devin didn't know what was happening, but I did.

"Damn, I never took Devin for a serial killer." Joshua said.

"Yeah, me either." Caleb added.

A ding went off.

Unknown: I didn't want to have to do that, Crystal. But, it was the only way I was going to show you I'm serious. I got Brittany out of jail anonymously with proof she didn't kill Joslyn, then I gave the police proof that Devin killed Joslyn.

Me: I'm getting sick of you, you bastard.

Unknown: That's a shame. Because, there isn't a cure for the sickness you're enduring. There's just pain.

I viewed Rachel eating her lunch, alone. Nobody wanted to talk to her or go near her after what happened on the stage. It was a damn tragedy and it caused Rachel her social life. I kind of felt bad for the girl.

"Hey Rachel, come sit with us!" I shouted.

Rachel became eyes-wide, surprised that someone had spoken to her. She didn't hesitate to walk over to our table. She laid her lunch tray in front of her after she took a seat.

She seemed shy, causing me to cure it. "Hey, I'm Crystal." I said. She looked down at the table, avoiding eye contact. "Hey..." Rachel replied, seeming awkward.

"I'm sorry about what happened on that stage to you."

"Don't worry, Crystal. It isn't your fault."

Yes, it is.

"So, what's your favorite subject?" I asked.

"Science. Definitely science."

Joshua began snapping pictures of me and Rachel as our conversation proceeded. Rachel flinched at the bright flash that emerged from Joshua's broken camera lens.

"Can you please... stop?" Rachel asked softly.

"Yeah, cut it out." I added.

Caleb entertained Joshua with some facts on the history of photography, allowing me and Rachel to carry on with our conversation.

"So, what do you like to do on your free time?" I asked.

"My father owns a flower shop downtown. I usually study the science of flowers and dissect them to further my experiments."

"Wait, so you dissect plants?"

"Yes. I'm basically a professional when it comes to that stuff."

"So, you'd know how to dissect beans?"

"Beans? I haven't done beans before. But, I suppose I could try."

"Could you dissect Castor Beans and make Ricin out of them?"

"Whoa, why do you need Ricin?"

"A science experiment."

"You know what Ricin is, Correct?"

"Yes."

"Well, it won't be easy... but I can try."

"Thanks."

I pulled the small Castor Bean pot from my backpack, handing it to Rachel secretly. She grabbed it and put it away in her bag, "I'll see if I can bring it back soon."

After school, I walked home, hoping that my father would be there, recovered from the gunshot. I opened my motel room door, laying my backpack on the floor inside and closing the door behind me. I was shocked to see my mother home early from work. But, that's not what shocked me the most. She held a stack of cash tied together with a rubber band in her hand along with the rest of my money in the bag on the bed.