Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Dedicated to ShalomBookWorm for all of her lovely comments.

~~~

"One... two... three."

The Duke boosted Suzanna up into her saddle and she settled comfortably into place. She watched as he mounted up into his saddle and grinned at her. Suzanna was anxious to know what Samuel had wanted to say to her, but the moment Duke Wilson smiled all her worries disappeared. They were, after all, friends - and while some of his behaviour had been suspicious or confusing, he had never done anything to make Suzanna fear for her safety. One more outing would not hurt. She would talk to Samuel when she had returned.

"Shall we go, Princess?" he asked.

"Indeed we shall," Suzanna responded cheerfully, urging her horse forward. They rode quietly for a minute until Duke Wilson finally broke the silence.

"The knight Samuel certainly seemed anxious to talk to you," he commented. Suzanna tensed slightly. Did the Duke know Samuel had been investigating him? No... he was probably just curious.

"Yes, he did," Suzanna replied slowly.

"I wonder what could be so important that he would beg to speak to you so?" the Duke mused.

"I would not know," Suzanna answered casually. She looked at the Duke and did her best to smile innocently and as care-free as she could. "We should not torture our minds with an unsolved mystery," she said in a jesting tone. Duke Wilson stared at her suspiciously for a split second - so quickly she nearly missed it - then broke into a smile.

"Indeed, my dear."

They rode out of the castle grounds and turned east towards where the kingdom became less densely occupied and turned into farmlands and fields. Duke Wilson stopped at the top of a cliff that overlooked the scenery and climbed out of his saddle. He helped Suzanna down from her own horse and offered her his arm, calmly leading her within a safe distance of the edge of the cliff. They paused and stared out.

The sun was beginning to set, already the sky was lit up in a dazzling display of orange and pink streaks of light.

"It is beautiful," Suzanna sighed happily.

"Aye, it is. And peaceful. I am glad we were able to have our last outing without a chaperone," Duke Wilson replied. Duke Wilson would be leaving in the morning, his responsibilities pulling him back to his home.

"My father trusts me and this will be kept quiet," Suzanna replied, though now she was beginning to wonder if it had been wise to ask for a private outing.

"Of course," the Duke responded casually.

"I suppose I will not be seeing you for some time," Suzanna said, looking up at him somewhat sadly.

"You know I cannot be away from my home for long. I am needed there."

"I know," she responded quietly.

"It touches me that you are sad for my departure," he said with a warm smile. "I am glad you care for me."

"I-" but before she could respond, the Duke was speaking once more.

"However," he continued, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "I wonder how much you can truly claim to care for me when you do not trust me." His eyes were dangerous, angry. Suzanna's heart dropped to her stomach at the sight of his dark anger.

"What are you talking about? What is wrong?" Suzanna asked innocently, though inside her anxiety was growing.

"It saddened me when you came accusing me of wrongdoing in the town," Duke Wilson said, folding his arms across his chest. Suzanna sighed in relief - perhaps he did not know anything about Samuel, perhaps he was only bringing up their small argument in order to understand her better.