Chapter Six

"I'm sorry to hear that."

Brie didn't know what else to say. She had heard of the fire that had burnt down the museum almost two years ago, but had never heard about anyone who had died in it. To her it seemed quite coincidental that the museum manager's daughter had died in that fire, but she dared not speak her thoughts to Kendrick.

"Thank you," he gave her a weak smile and rested the tips of his fingers on the edge of the desk. "She was quite something."

Brie managed a small smile. "Sir, what was it you wanted to talk to me about?"

"Oh, right. Well, as the manager of the museum, I naturally want to know what is going on with the case concerning George Morris. I would also like to be constantly kept updated." Kendrick resumed his former stance and raised his chin a little.

She nodded politely. "I will do my best, Mr Kendrick, but I hope you can understand that all information concerning this case is private. I will tell you all I am able when there is anything to know."

Although there was plenty of information about the case that she could tell him, she was reluctant to tell anyone outside the investigative team. Anyone and everyone was a suspect so far. Kendrick nodded rather curtly and thanked her for her time, but was interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Come in," Kendrick said, and Ben walked into the study with Mia.

"Sorry to interrupt, Brie, but the team is ready to go," Ben said, glancing at Kendrick.

Brie nodded and excused herself from the room, closing the door behind her. She remembered talking to Ben on the way to the department that morning about sending a team of policemen to the shack in the woods to see if they could find anything. She doubted that the men would still be there; surely they'd have been smart enough to hide elsewhere by now.

She turned to Ben and Mia, "Are you coming with?"

Mia nodded, "Wouldn't miss it."

Ben said that he'd rather stay at the museum and get a forensic run-though from the crime scene investigators. Brie agreed, and followed Mia outside to where three police cars were parked by the curb in a semi-circle. She and Mia got into one and were greeted by a young, burly policeman at the wheel, who swerved away from the curb and drove towards the city outskirts. The whole team had been given directions to the shack by Ben.

"Stop here, please," Brie said as the police car approached the shack, which looked a lot less menacing in daylight.

The policeman slowed the car to a stop and Brie got out, immediately noticing the smell of dried leaves and pine cones. Mia got out after her and looked around, drinking in every detail with her eyes. The policeman, all armed with shot guns, were all standing around their cars awaiting further instructions.

"I think two men should scout the place out around the back, while Mia and myself take the front with one of you. The other two should position themselves at each flank; we don't want anyone inside to escape if there are people here, although I seriously doubt it," Brie said to the group of policemen, keeping her voice down in case they should be heard.

The men followed orders and positioned themselves around the building, alert. The same man who'd driven them there followed Brie and Mia to the front door of the shack, which was hanging askew from its rusty hinges. Some of the planks that made up the walls were creeping with mold and others were coming loose, creating perfectly sized peep-holes.

Brie took a quick breath before opening the door and stepping inside, her hand positioned on the gun in her holster.

Nobody.

"Alright, men, it's abandoned. All clear," the policeman said into his walkie-talkie, lowering his gun.

Brie scanned the inside of the shack. It was nothing impressive and definitely not a permanent hideout: the only furniture was a rusted metal table and an overturned, wooden chair. She stepped further inside and frowned, disappointed they'd been unable to catch whoever had kidnapped her - even though she'd known it was a long shot.

"Brie, take a look at this," Mia called, crouching near one of the table legs.

Brie walked over to her and kneeled down to see what she was looking at. Mia motioned to a small, cylindrical package the size of a tablet on the floor. It seemed to contain white powder. Brie frowned again and took a latex glove out of her bag, pulling it onto her hand. She picked up the small package and held it up to the dim lightbulb hanging from the ceiling to examine it.

After a while, she finally spoke, "Mia?"

"Yes?"

"I think we've just discovered a massive clue."