The Call

Lance sat alone in the dining room. He dug his spoon into the green food goo and lifted it up in front of his eyes, watching the goo ooze off the spoon and back into the bowl. He wrinkled his nose and pushed the bowl away.

"Lance!"

He started. "Shiro? Allura? Did something happen?"

Shiro and Allura exchanged glances.

"May I speak to Lance alone?" Shiro pleaded.

"This concerns me too, Shiro."

"I know. We'll talk when I'm finished speaking with Lance. Is that alright?"

Allura crossed her arms.

"Please, princess."

She inhaled sharply. "Fine. I'll talk to you when you're finished. But don't leave anything out." Her gaze flicked to Lance momentarily before she left the room.

Shiro turned his attention to Lance, leaning his back against the wall. He cleared his throat and gestured to the seat before him. "Take a seat Lance."

Lance's heart leaped into his throat as he sat down stiffly. "Did I do something wrong, Shiro?"

"That's still up for debate." He responded calmly. "I don't think I need to guess who the mastermind behind the prison break was."

Lance's eyes widened. His toes curled in his shoes from anxiety. The last thing he wanted was to be here alone with his leader. "What? You think I did that?"

"Yes. In fact, I know you did."

Lance stared into Shiro's eyes. They held a silent staring contest until Lance nervously broke eye contact. "I may have... helped him." He confessed, looking down at his fidgeting hands.

"Why?"

"It's just-- It's not fair to lock Keith up like that!" He burst out.

Shiro sighed and massaged his temples. "Lance, we've been through this."

"I know! Keith can't help it. Back in the arena, his Other self said something about his Galra side being held back. He was trying to conceal it, Shiro! He knew this would happen! He's like this because he was afraid that we would do the very same thing we did to him!"

"He's unstable, Lance."

"So what? So are half the people on this ship! No one can make it through war with all of their sanity in check!"

Shiro opened his mouth to speak then shut it again. His jaw clenched, watching Lance through hardened eyes. He nodded in silent agreement.

"I'm trying to do what's right, Shiro." Lance continued, lowering his voice. "And locking Keith up? You have to know that it's wrong."

Shiro nodded again. "You're right, Lance." He sighed and sunk into the chair across from him. "It was wrong of me and I apologize."

"Don't apologize to me. Apologize to Keith... if we ever see him again."

Shiro leaned forward in the chair and buried his face in his hands.