Silent Celtic Promise

Chapter 13—Silent Celtic Promise

Myrnin

I considered our current predicament as Claire slept, a thousand thoughts running rampant through my head. How did we get HERE? Why did she follow me, knowing the risks and particularly after our very unpleasant 'goodbye'? How are we going to get home? Shaking my head to clear it, I focused. I had to think...to plan.

As much as I tried to concentrate on other things, my mind kept drifting back to Claire. I felt a certain amount of peace just watching her dream. I shook my head slowly as I contemplated the risk she took. She knew she could have ended up at any point in time and space. There was no guarantee for success, and a high possibility she would have ended up dead as a result.

Then why can't she see she must has feelings for me? Feelings, that went deeper than just the hormonal type. Although I was quite found of those feelings. I smiled as I remembered how close 'we' had come the night before. Indeed, she had shocked the hell out of me as the 'memories' began to flood my mind. I was so startled that I couldn't understand what was happening at first. And then it was ridiculously difficult to focus on getting back to her, while in the middle of such heightened emotions.

I could still feel her soft skin and the way she wanted me. Clearly she wanted me. But did I want that? She won't admit to feeling more than just concern and I frowned as I thought about her sleeping with that boy the night before. I had been truthful before when I told her I wasn't the sharing kind.

Claire started to move, stretching as she struggled to wake up. She turned her head to me and smiled softy and sweetly, her face lighting up when she saw me.

Why the hell does she do that and then run away from me back to that boy?!

"So, what is on the schedule for today?" Claire asked.

"We need to collect some supplies, money and clothes." I looked down at her outfit and she blushed. "I definitely can't let you walk around in that. You would likely get arrested...or eaten."

Claire's blush deepened as she looked indignant. "Well, I didn't plan for this to happen."

"No, you most certainly did not plan at all," I replied wryly.

She threw an irritated scowl at me, looked around, and then returned her gaze to my face. "So, what did you mean last night. You had this place built? Who are you – or were you I mean?" she demanded.

"I was a prince..." I smirked and waited to enjoy the look that came over her face. She didn't disappoint.

"A prince and a castle, of course..." she muttered. "Wait, so that was your bedroom last night? You own that castle?" Her eyes widened and a touch of pink revealed itself on her cheeks as she remembered.

"Yes, but it wasn't the traditional definition of a prince as you might know it. I was not bestowed based on my human birthright but rather by my immortal bloodline. I was an apprentice to an ancient vampire, Gwion. The oldest one that I am aware of, older than Bishop even. When he turned me, I was given certain 'favor' for belonging to such an esteemed bloodline. And I choose – well conquered – Conwy for my domain."

"Your domain?" Claire tilted her head inquisitively. I could tell from her look that she wasn't sure if she wanted to laugh or be impressed.

"I was fascinated with the idea of it – money and power. I viciously defeated many vampires to stake claim to it. But ruling never stimulated me. I found it quite tedious, which ended up being my downfall – or salvation – depending on which way one would judge. I much preferred the pleasurable distractions I found in alchemy...philosophy...women..." I let the last word hang in the air, gauging her response.