Water in the Blackness

Chapter 14—Water in the Blackness

Claire

Claire looked at the dresses. There were an assortment with various styles from subtly feminine to regal evening gown to warrior chic. She picked up the last one and felt the buckles and belts. It reminded her of the Steampunk-like fashion Anwyn had worn, but told herself she was choosing it because this style was just more sensible for traveling, not because she knew Myrnin would like it.

She started with black leather pants that fit her like a glove. They were the softest leather she had ever felt. She pulled on a brown skirt over the pants next, also leather, and cut slimly so that it hung close to her body. She slipped into a black and brown leather corset next. It took her a minute to make all of the connections, running the belts through loops and finally into the buckles to close them snuggly. It felt tight but comfortable. And she noticed with a blush, that the snug fit pushed her breasts higher in a surprisingly attractive way.

Claire slid her arms into the black leather jacket next. It fit her shoulders and arms snuggly and then flared slightly at her wrists, the length covering her hands. It connected with a thin strap/buckle across the highest part of her chest, still leaving plenty of cleavage showing. The back of the jacket was slim covering only her back, leaving the front of the corset exposed, and came back together low on her hips, just under the bottom of the corset and connected with twin belts/buckles. The jacket ran down her back to the ground, but was V-cut in the front, leaving the front of the skirt somewhat visible. Claire turned and stretched to find the fabric was amazingly pliant, giving her free range of motion.

All she needed now were shoes and searched until she found a pair of boots that fit. They were tall on her legs, laced up the front and had straps and buckles across the top of her feet and calves. If Eve could see me now, she would faint, Claire smiled at the thought.

Claire lifted the skirt all of the way to reveal her leg, so she could strap the dagger tightly around her thigh, when she noticed Myrnin had come back into the room and was staring at her intently. Even though she had pants on, she blushed and let the skirt drop around her.

She waited but he didn't say anything, so she mumbled, "Um...um...what else should I bring?"

The question seemed to bring some life back into him and he told her, "Take two other dresses, one casual and one formal. I have gathered everything else and we can purchase anything we don't have later."

He guided her to a previously unexplored room and she stopped when she realized what it was – an armory. There were weapons in every shape and size neatly attached to the walls. He looked her up and down before deciding; then disappeared in another room before coming back with a pouch attached to a belt. He reached his arms around her to secure the belt low on her hips, with the pouch resting at her side. Claire felt her heart rate pick up when his arms were around her and watched him smirk with satisfaction, as he felt her response to him.

Then he handed her two bottles of silver nitrate to tuck in the pouch, before slipping another belt over her shoulders with two daggers sheathed to it, so that they rested out of her way, but still within easy reach. Claire's eyes were wide as she realized the precautions he was taking and asked, "Why do I need all of this?"

He told her bluntly, "It is not always safe to walk at night here."

Claire's heart rate picked up again, this time out of anxiety, "Myrnin, why can't we just stay here, while you work out the portals? It seems safe enough."

He looked pointedly at her and she saw the red crimson creep in his eyes.

"Oh, right," she breathed and then frowned, "Wait, are you going to hunt?" Her eyes were large with the implications of that. "You can't," she whispered.

"No, the Hotel Elysium is 'vampire-friendly'. My needs will be cared for."

Claire narrowed her eyes, "What does that mean exactly? What...do they parade the staff members in front of you, and you get to pick which one dies?" Claire could see his shoulders tightened and jaw twitch as he was clearly angry.

"Claire, I AM a vampire. I feed or I die. It's as simple as that. Do you cry whenever you select which steak to eat?"

"They are PEOPLE, not cows!" Claire cut him off, matching his anger now.

"Let me finish...They do not die. I was merely trying to bring you back to the reality of what I am. It would do you well to remember it. Especially when you are alone with me and I am hungry."

Claire flinched and realized the harsh truth of his statement.

"As I was saying, they do not die. Their blood is willingly extracted in return for payment. It is an integral part of an economy that flourishes within this mutual agreement."

"Oh," Claire breathed.

"Yes, now let's go," he responded briskly.

As they left, she realized they were heading a different direction through the tunnels and asked, "Are we going back to the graveyard?"

He shook his head as he replied, "No, we are going to take the tunnels as far as we can to the city. Once the tunnels end, it will only take us about an hour to reach the hotel."

She wasn't sure but she guessed about a half hour passed before they came to another 'dead end'. He pulled two dark cloaks out and wrapped one around her shoulders, while doing the same for himself.

"Listen to me. Once we emerge out of the portal, do not move an inch until I tell you. Do you understand?" He stared at her intently until she nodded her understanding with wide eyes. He extinguished the torch, opened the portal and kept his hand tightly on hers as they stepped through.

When they came out the other side, her eyes adjusted to the darkness. But she still couldn't see much because the stars and moon were hidden under a blanket of clouds. She could hear the sound of crashing water and felt the wind blowing strongly, causing her to sway just a little, while Myrnin kept a tight hold on her.

Myrnin asked her quickly, "Can you see anything?"

"Not much," Claire admitted.

"Okay, we are about fifty feet off the ground on a small ledge. I want you to climb on my back and I will jump to the forest floor."

Claire's heart started to race as she interpreted his words and her hands were shaking as he slid himself right in front of her, and helped her gently onto his back. "Will it hurt when we hit the ground?" Claire whispered, suddenly afraid that any talk louder than that would cause her to fall tragically to her death.

"No," he whispered back and then he jumped. She felt the increase in wind, but it was over in a second and they landed softly at the bottom.

Myrnin took her hand to guide her over the terrain she couldn't see, when she was reminded of the sounds of the water. "Myrnin, what is the water?"

"I wish you could see it. It's a lovely waterfall. If we have time, I will bring you back on a clear night. I think I would quite enjoy swimming with you," his voice dropped to a husky whisper.

Claire shivered with desire, and tried to break the tension, "Oh, so you packed bathing suits in the bags as well?"

He turned her to face him and nuzzled her neck as he said softly, "We have no need for such things, my dear."

Claire felt heat crash over her and wound her hands into his hair, eagerly searching for his mouth in the darkness. He pulled her tightly to his chest and gave himself over to the kiss for a moment, before pulling back reluctantly. "Alas, we do not have time for such things tonight and must continue."

Claire groaned and wasn't sure if she was going to be able to walk. She swayed just a little as she took her first step, and heard him chuckle in the blackness.