Your Cruelty Astounds Me

Chapter 21—Your Cruelty Astounds Me

Myrnin

The sun was fading over the horizon as I recalled the night before with exact clarity. Every touch... Every look...Every taste. A low growl of desire emanated from my throat as I admired her bare silhouette beneath the sheet. I wondered what dreams entertained her. My mind worked to comprehend our wholly changed dynamic, from one night to the next.

She was MINE, the feral side of my nature contemplated in deep satisfaction.

I was so instinctually tuned to her emotions, I had sensed the change in her immediately. She seemed to be exploring her thoughts, awakening her mind to what her body was already feeling.

Hmmm...her body.... A familiar vibration coursed through me and it took a shocking amount of control to hold myself back, from taking her right then.

I shook myself. No, we had work to do tonight. I had to focus.

Flashes of the night before invaded my senses. The feel of her skin in the rain...Her intoxicating scent...The moment she became mine. A low growl of desire slipped through my lips.

No, we would never get home if I never let her leave the bed.

I shook my head again, fighting against what I desperately wanted. I felt my pupils dilate and without really knowing how I got there, found myself next to her on the bed.

Claire stirred at the motion, and slowly opened her eyes. The happiness on her face overwhelmed my senses and I stared back at her in awe. She blushed under the intensity of my gaze, silently sharing the memories of the night before with me.

"Good evening, Cariad" I whispered and then motioned to the tray sitting on the table. "I thought you would like sustenance early, as we have much to do tonight."

"Yes...I'm famished," she murmured softly with a faint blush.

I stroked her cheek and then backed off of the bed. I knew I would need to feed more frequently now in order to maintain any shred of control around her. When I reached the doorway, I turned and promised, "I need a minute, but I will be back soon."

Understanding lit her expression, and...something else? I had to physically grasp the door to keep myself in place, when she slipped the covers off and stepped out of the bed, her naked skin shimmering in the moonlight. She stared at me with a smile playing on her lips.

She knew what she was doing.

And that it was dangerous.

Which made me want her even more.

"Hmmm...Your cruelty astounds me," I growled low with desire, using every ounce of determination I had not to go back to her and lose myself in the softness of her skin.

The gleaming calculation in her eyes belied her overly-innocent smile as she purred, "You're restraint astounds me. I will have to work on that..." But she didn't come any closer, knowing it would only take one small step for me to completely lose my tenuous grip on my control.

I was breathing hard when I finally made it out of the door, the unnecessary action calming me. I had never experienced this side of her before, and I thrilled at the thought of exploring it thoroughly.

When I returned, Claire was fully clothed and perched on the edge of a chair. She was gently researching the tattered books, diagrams and manuscripts laid out on the table. I reveled in the familiarity - sharing our common love of knowledge once again.

She tilted her head expectantly toward me.

My eyes lingered on her soft skin, counting the beats of the pulse in her neck.