Alone!

Chapter 25—Alone!

Claire

"NO! NO! NO! " Claire heard someone screaming. She idly wondered who it was before deciding she didn't care.

Both of her hands throbbed with searing pain as she repeatedly struck the unforgiving wall.

A hot trail of liquid dripped down her fingers. She glanced down in confusion. Bright crimson drops splashed against the emerald green gown she still wore. Lifting her wrist to inspect the source of the blood, Claire discovered two distinct puncture wounds. She sensed the answer was obvious, but the shock was making it impossible for her brain to put together the pieces of the puzzle.

Then it hit her.

Myrnin had created a blood bond!

She had never been more thankful that he was a vampire than in that moment when she put all of her hope in the blood still flowing from her wrist. He would find her. He had to!

Her body shook, tremors shuddering through her, one right after the other, crashing faster and faster across her small frame until she couldn't determine when one ended and the next began.

Wobbling backward, her legs gave out. A wave of nausea clenched her stomach. She crumpled as the cold hard floor rushed to meet her.

Too weak to stand, Claire attempted to crawl to the nearby couch, but her limbs were not cooperating and her legs flailed, the fabric of the gown impeded her progress as she couldn't gain traction against the cement floor.

Claire stopped moving and pulled harshly to undo the back ties of the gown. A frustrated scream slipped through her lips, as she struggled to yank the dress over her head.

Finally free of the offending garment, she crawled the remaining distance and dragged herself up on the couch, her naked body wracking in even harder shivers from the added cold. Claire pulled her knees up to her chest, and grasped a blanket from the back of the couch, wrapping it tightly around herself.

She stayed there, staring at the wall – all night – falling deeper and deeper into agony as each minute passed without him.

Claire was distracted by the sunlight creeping through the high tiny block window, signaling a new day had begun. She couldn't just sit immobile, she harshly commanded herself. The shock was wearing off, giving her brain room to think, but also allowing her to feel the full impact and pain of her grief.

Claire warred in her mind. Resolution to get up versus agony so sharp, she felt it rip through her senses at the slightest movement.  Motionless, she forced her mind to think, to plan. She had to find a way to bring him back. But she would need help. Amelie's help.

Claire's deliberation abruptly stopped. A fresh horror washed over her as her eyes trailed outward, focusing for the first time, on the condition of the lab.

There were cobwebs everywhere. What happened?!

She slowly turned her head. A thick layer of dust coated every surface.

Oh no! How long had she been gone?

Fear began to torment her body again. Not only was she alone, but she didn't even know what year it was or what she would find outside that door! Hopelessness welled up inside her. She felt the urge to cry, but her eyes were empty now – every tear already gone, stolen by the relentless night.

Claire uncurled her body from the tight ball she'd kept it in, her muscles screaming in response, from the prolonged stiffness and agony her body had endured since her kidnapping until now.