Nothing Left To Come Home To

Chapter 28—Nothing Left To Come Home To

Claire

Rhysian's head lifted and he looked at the door. Claire wondered what sound he heard, that her limited human ears, couldn't. Her unspoken question was answered a second later when she heard someone impatiently banging on the door.

Rhysian took a step toward the door. Claire grabbed his arm. "Wait, we don't know who it is!"

"And we will never know...If I don't get the door," Rhysian reminded her. When Claire didn't speak, he reassured her, "I am certain I can handle it."

"No, you don't understand," Claire hissed. "You've heard of people that can win friends and influence others?"

Rhysian stared at her, confused.

"Well, that is not me! Definitely not in Morganville. My history is a little more like...Meet someone, run from them, try not to die in the process."

He opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted.

"Look bitch, I know you are in there. Let me in!" Eve's voice called from the other side of the door.

"Eve!" Claire cried and rushed to the door.

Eve grabbed Claire in a hug, grinning. Then her eyes narrowed. "Why haven't you come to see me in the last three months?! I had to drag my ass down to the slums just to say hello."

Claire laughed at her outburst. Then said soberly, "I just can't..."

"What exactly can't you?" Eve pushed. "Hell, it's only one step away for you. Portal, remember? The thing where you blink and then land in my living room."

"Portal?" Rhysian spoke in alarm. "You are using a time portal?!"

"No!" Claire spoke a little too quickly. She hoped Rhysian didn't hear the guilt in her voice. "She is referring to a normal portal, just the kind that moves you from one place to another."

"Oh." He still looked surprised and concerned.

"Didn't Amelie tell you I can manipulate the portals?"

"No, she left out that small detail."

Eve interjected, "Hellooo...Best friend over here...Still waiting for an answer."

Claire looked down, not sure how to explain her crippling anxiety anytime she stepped out of the lab.

Eve's eyes softened, "It's not healthy, you know."

Claire glanced up at her.

"You have to try, Claire. Try...To live in this reality. I know you're scared. But facing your fears, and conquering them, will help you survive. You have friends. Michael and I miss you." Eve hesitated as if trying to decide if she should continue and said softly,"Even Shane."

Claire's eyes widened in shock. She whispered, "Why would you say that?? I'm sure he hates me."

"He doesn't hate you," Eve said firmly. "You need to begin to forgive yourself....Let it go."

"I...I'll think about it," Claire replied noncommittally.

"Uh huh..." Eve replied, clearly not believing her. "I'm headed to work, but I get off at 1:00am. I know you are not asleep by that time, so I expect to see some portal action when I get home." Eve's tone softened, "I promise...We'll take baby steps. You only have to stay fifteen minutes if that is all you can handle. You just have to try..."

Claire didn't respond. Instead she was distracted by Eve's earlier words. "Wait, you get off work at 1:00am? I thought you still worked at Common Grounds. Since when does the coffee shop stay open past 9:00pm?"