|Four|

♡♡♡

♡♡♡

04 || A Comb and a Pistol

Ella and Kaitlyn stood on the train tracks waiting for the four boys to come. They knew it was probably minutes from turning twelve-thirty. Twelve being the time they were supposed to meet.

"What if they left without us?" Ella asked, bored and simply tired of waiting.

Kaitlyn shook her head, "No. They're boys, of course, they're late. They use a clock as much as they use their brains."

Ella laughed, "And here I thought girls were the one dealing with sexism."

Kaitlyn laughed too, "Yeah, well, they just got a taste of their own medicine."

The girls heard talking and looked behind them to see all of the boys walking in a slower pace.

"Snails," Ella muttered under her breath, earning a chuckle from Kaitlyn.

"Hey!" Vern shouted happily with a wave to the two girls who were a few feet ahead of them now.

"Hey," Ella started, her eyes falling on Gordie, "You okay, Gordo?"

Chris' eyes fell on Kaitlyn, as her eyes did on him. Kaitlyn smiled at the boy, her dimples showing. Chris couldn't hold in the smile when he saw her smiling at him.

Gordie nodded, not convincing anyone though, "I'm fine, thanks, Ella."

The two girls sent a look of disbelief but neither of them pressed the subject, not wanting to make their friend uncomfortable.

Chris stood by Kaitlyn and the six started walking, following the train tracks.

"What do we need a pistol for, anyway?" Vern asked.

"What pistol?" Kaitlyn asked immediately.

Chris pulled a pistol out of his bundled sleeping bag, "It's spooky sleeping out at night in the woods. We might see a bear," Chris replies.

"Or a garbage can," Teddy says, laughing.

Ella furrowed her eyebrows, "I'm not going to ask."

"I brought a comb." Vern suddenly said, ending the silence.

"What do we need a comb for?" Chris asked.

"If we get on TV," Vern started, "We want to look good, don't we?"

"That's a lot of thinking, Vern," Gordie said, complimenting the dorky boy.

"Thanks," Vern said sweetly.

"I appreciate it," Ella said receiving a smile from the boy.