thirty-six

"I didn't say anything but I knew
That there was no room for me in your heart"

————————

The sound of my phone buzzing underneath the pillow woke me up from my deep sleep. Groaning, I moved around the bed as my phone kept ringing, bugging me to wake up already. Giving up, I jerked up from the bed with my eyes half-opened as I slid my hand under the pillow and picked up my phone from there.

Half-awake, I tried staring at my phone screen to see my mom's missed calls. There were even text messages from her asking me if I was doing okay. I replied to her messages so she wouldn't worry about me. After my message was sent to her, I tossed my phone over the pillows, and rubbed my eyes using the back of my hand and stretched before I got up from bed.

When I got up, I was surprised to see Yoongi sleeping so soundly on the opposite bed. My eyes widened as I immediately roamed around the room and realized we spent the night at the Jeon's'. I sighed, thinking I should wake Yoongi too, but he looked like he's someone who doesn't want to be bothered when sleeping, so I decided just to leave the room and went downstairs.

When I reached downstairs, I smelled something delicious coming from the kitchen. Timidly, I made my way forward the kitchen, and I saw Mr. Jeon cooking pancakes in the kitchen while Mrs. Jeon is sitting by the kitchen counter. "Honey, let me cook. Have your breakfast." Mrs. Jeon piped up, tapping the empty seat next to her but her husband was too busy cooking, he kept his back from his wife. "Honey." She called out again.

I stood there for a while before Mrs. Jeon noticed me and offered me a seat across her. I shyly took my seat and Mrs. Jeon smiled at me. "You're up pretty early. Did you have a good night sleep?"

I let out a small smile. "Hmm. It was chilly last night, but I slept just fine."

"Well, it's great to hear you had a good night sleep." Mr. Jeon piped up, approaching us with a plate full of pancakes and a cup of coffee in his hands as he wore a plain white apron over his plain black buttondown shirt. "Here, have a breakfast." He said, placing the plate on top of the kitchen counter in front of me as he sat next to his wife with his cup of coffee. "Anyway, is Yoongi still asleep? There's no pancake left for him though." He chuckled a bit and I nodded my head as an answer before pouring maple syrup on the top layer of my pancakes. There were seconds of silence in the atmosphere as I began slicing and eating my pancakes. "I'd like to ask you something, Areum," Mr. Jeon cleared his throat, breaking the ice and took a sip of his coffee. He caught my attention which stopped me from taking another bite as I lifted my head to face him. "Is Taehyung doing fine? Is he okay?"

My eyes wandered, hearing Taehyung's name. I low-key took a deep sigh before answering, "Yeah. . ." I stopped, looking down at my pancakes. "Uh, to be honest, I don't know, Dr. Jeon. . . It's been days since I talked to Taehyung. . ." I said. I knew Jin texted me, saying Taehyung was rushed in the hospital because of Hoseok, but I just couldn't find a courage to say it to them.

"Did. . . Did you two break up?" Dr. Jeon was hesitant at first, but then he proceeded. I still didn't lift my head up after Dr. Jeon asked me that question. I didn't know what to say. I'm afraid he might judge me or something. "Areum, dear, I know Taehyung can be a little difficult sometimes, but please try to understand him. Right now, he needs good people like you around him. So, please—"

"Honey. . ." Mrs. Jeon called Dr. Jeon's attention as she reached for his hand. Her husband looked puzzled when he turned to look at his wife. "Honey, you can't force Areum to be with Taehyung if she doesn't want to anymore." She softly told her husband, and then turned to me with a sweet smile on her face. "I'm sorry about my husband, dear."