nine

jungkook tapped his foot against the floorboard nervously as his eyes shifted from taehyung's empty seat to a cackling jackson standing in front of him

he forced out a laugh when jackson cracked out another one of his "roasts" towards someone in their class called mark and began wheezing while choking out laughter.

although jungkook was definitely a huge fan of telling jokes or receiving jokes and whatnot, he much preferred joking around with taehyung over anyone else.

jackson must've noticed his constipated expression because his laughing soon died down. cocking his head to the side, the man frowned. "you're no fun today," jackson commented nonchalantly. "lighten up, dude," were his last words as he patted jungkook on the shoulder and walked back to his own seat.

jungkook simply huffed, turning his head to the side so he could fully see taehyung's seat, which was sadly still vacant. normally, by this time, the other male would've arrived. heck, he's always one of the earliest students to enter the classroom.

the ravenette pondered for a while, never reaching any kind of conclusion as to why taehyung's this late. the rest of the lesson flew by with him failing to answer questions when called on, and him hopelessly trying to follow what the teacher was explaining.

before he knew it, hours have already passed. when the lunch bell rang, jungkook slowly collected his books and stood up, sighing loudly and taking one last glance at his seatmate's desk.

however, when he strode out the room, the moment his foot stepped outside, he unknowingly collided with another force that made him stumble a few steps backward.

"you!" a semi-high pitched voice exclaimed, causing jungkook's head to snap up in light speed.

"park jimin," he softly said, eyes gradually widening. jimin then clicked his tongue, immediately beginning to turn the other direction to walk away. realization quickly dawned on jungkook and he rushed to grab jimin's shoulder.

"where's taehyung?" jungkook blurted out, unable to hold himself back.

jimin's eyebrows knitted together. "why are you—"

"do you know where he is? you must know," the transferee's words came out jumbled, surprising the shorter male. "fuck, please tell me where he is! i really need to apologize. please, jimin," he practically begged, tightening his grasp around jimin's shoulder blade.

the orange-haired boy inhaled sharply whilst calmly removing jungkook's hand from his shoulder. "jeon jungkook," his voice was as monotonous as it could get. "i'm not going to tell you where my best friend is, because i made a promise to him and i'm not going to disregard it without a second thought. oh wait, doesn't that sound a bit familiar?" sarcasm laced itself in jimin's voice as each and every word came out sharp with bite.

"jimin, please. i need to know where he is," jungkook continued, not giving a care in the world about the students passing by who gave them weird looks left and right. 

"well, taehyung didn't need to know where you were when you bailed on him yesterday," jimin retorted with a scoff.

"just please give me a chance to talk to him," the younger says. "i want to fix things, i want to explain myself— no, i must explain myself. taehyung didn't deserve that; he didn't deserve to get treated like that by me. please jimin-hyung, i'll do anything!"

jimin's ears perked up at the sudden honorific. narrowing his eyes at jungkook, he finally notices the desperation clouding over his orbs, and yet, deep inside those dark irises, there's a hint of undying determination.

that was when jimin concludes that he shouldn't do anything to stop jungkook from going to the one he currently desires to see the most.