9

His shoes made clacking noises as he rushed nonstop to his father’s room, knowing every corner of the mansion like the back of his hand. Tiny drips of sweat trickled down his forehead, slightly wetting his messy light blond hair. A common feature shared by the Heartfilias. This was his home, where he and his little sister grew up, where their beloved father and mother raised them. Where their father would be leaving them…soon.

As he neared the doors to his father’s bedroom, two figures came to view and made him come to a stop.

After a long time of being away from home, he finally got to see his little sister in person, not just from the magazines he bought to see how she has grown up to be.

“Lucy…” he whispered.

.

.

.

Lucy’s eyes widened as she turned her head to see who it was. Natsu on the other hand, didn’t look so surprised. Afterall, he was expecting him.

“Brother?” Lucy said.

Seeing her older brother after a very long time was like seeing the rainbow after the rain.

Without hesitation, she ran to him. Jumping up and hugging him like she was afraid he’d leave again.

“Rakheid you’ve come back!” she shouted with tears of joy.

“Sorry it took so long” he replied, hugging her back. The corner of his eyes had tears forming in them.

Rakheid’s eyes shifted to the other figure as he hugged her. It was Natsu.

The head gave him a slight nod, acknowledging his arrival. Rakheid slightly bowed his head in return as a sign of respect.

He looked back to his sister’s watery eyes and gently wiped the tears from her cheeks.

“How’s father?” Rakheid asked, a sad smile formed on his lips.

.

.

.

Jude woke up to the silence of the room.

His eyes met the familiar ceiling that always greeted him first thing in the morning when he woke up everyday. He smiled. He was back at the mansion.

He was about to sit up when he felt his right hand being held by someone.

His eyes widened when he saw who it was. It was Rakheid, holding his old hand and looking down on the ground as if he was doing a confession. No one else in the room but the two of them.

“Rakheid?” Jude called out.

The young man’s attention immediately turned to him.

“Y-you’re awake!” Rakheid said surprised.

“You came back. That’s good.” Jude said with a content smile on his face.

“Father! I-I’m sorry! Please forgive me! I have not been a good son. My selfishness had cost you such great pain! I’m sorry that I was away and was not here to take care of you. I’m sorry!”

Rakheid said as he knelt down on the floor, holding his father’s hand and cried for forgiveness.

“You weren’t being selfish at all, boy. The letters you sent every Christmas and New Year are more than enough. I understand your feelings.”

“…how could you not detest me? I have been nothing but a piece of-“

“Rakheid. Stop punishing yourself,” Jude interrupted him.

“…Father.” Rakheid looked up to him, still crying.

“Quit your crying, you look like a girl,” Jude joked, chuckling slightly.

“No, I don’t!” he said, wiping away his tears, “how could you even joke at a time like this?”

Jude laughed at him. Then his face became calm and stern as he spoke,

“Listen carefully”

Rakheid looked at his father, waiting for whatever it was that he wanted to say.

“I’m leaving the company to you.”

His eyes widened.

“What? Please father, don’t talk like you’re going somewhere… and I’m not fit to lead the company, I-.”

“I’m not done talking,” Jude cut him off, “I’m not only leaving the company in your hands because you’re my son, but also because I know you are capable.”

Rakheid was about to argue again but his father didn’t give him a chance to.

“Besides, you weren’t the top of your class for nothing,” Jude said.

This got Rakheid left with no words.

After a while, he finally agreed to his father’s wishes.

“Did you know that your sister got married?” Jude spoke again.

“Yes, I read from the papers,” he answered.

“Who knew it would be Natsu, huh?” Jude chuckled.

“As long as it’s him, there’s nothing to worry about,” Rakheid said smiling.

“Why didn’t you attend the wedding? She would have been so surprised,” Jude said as he stared at the ceiling.

His son went silent for a moment, finding the right words to say.

“I wanted to… but I’ve been gone for a long time that I was afraid… Afraid that Lucy resented me for leaving. I was ashamed to face her,” he answered with a sad smile.

“You know she couldn’t hold a grudge against you. Lucy’s too sweet to hate,” Jude said shaking his head as he did.

“I know,” Rakheid answered, “That’s why… I promise to be a good brother to her, father.”

The tired old man slowly nodded his head, smiling.

“That’s good to hear.” He said, pleased, “Finally, you’ve turned into a responsible man after years of waiting.”

“What did you say?!”

Jude only laughed at him.