Conversations and Patrol (Ch 21)

We made it to Jared’s house twenty minutes later. He and Kim were still planning on spending the evening together so she got out of the car with him. And then there it was. Just him and me in the silence of the car. The rain had returned, only drizzling now, the sound of the drops hitting the roof echoed. I looked down to my hands and fumbled with my ring, not really knowing what to do. I mean I wanted to say something. But what was there to say? Hey that kiss was really nice? Awkward. I looked to the dash at the clock which pointed at 4:57. It was still really early. I wonder if he was gonna stay with me at the house when he took me home. I certainly wouldn’t have a doubt about it if it wasn’t for the whole kissing thing. Maybe it was a bad idea? Well it wasn’t really an idea. More like a spur of the moment kind of thing. But how can something that felt so perfect and right be bad? The car’s engine cutting off took me out of my thoughts. I looked out the window and was surprised to find that we were already home.

I reached for my door handle and opened it, but was stopped when his hand grabbed by other arm. I turned to face him not expecting what came next. His fingers lightly stroked my cheek before his face came closer, reconnecting our lips once more. It wasn’t like our previous kiss. It was short, but still held the same emotion. My eyes fluttered open when he pulled away- my mind was in that same frenzy again. He was looking back at me with that perfect smile.

“Jake..” I breathed out. I didn’t even know what I was planning to say. But I didn’t need to because he placed his hand softly over my mouth to quiet me.

“Shh. Come on” He nodded in the direction of the house and got out of the car.

My knees were wobbly, my heart was pounding, my temperature was rising, and I honestly don’t even know how I managed to get myself out of the truck. But I did. Jake and I walked into the warm house and found pretty much everyone seated in the living room, even Leah.

“Oh thank God!” Emily exclaimed, rushing over to us with towels. “I was so worried.”

“We’re fine, Em.” I smiled, wrapping the towel around myself.

“Well go on and take a warm shower. Get out of these clothes.” She told me, handing Jake the other towel. He took it and started drying off his hair. His clothes were already much drier than mine were for some reason so he was able to sit down on one of the arm chairs. I gave him one last glance to which he returned with a smile as he watched me go up the stairs.

JAKE POV

“Jake, keep that towel under you just in case.” Emily told me as she headed back into the kitchen.

“Sure thing, Em.” I replied, leaning by back against the cushions.

“What are you smiling about?” Embry nudged me and casted me a weirded look.

I shrugged. “Nothing, man.”

“Right.” Seth interjected. “Because that’s the usual Jake. All smiles.” He rolled his eyes.

I glared at him, but the smile returned quickly. I honestly didn’t know what Lucy and I were considered. All I knew is that I loved kissing her. And that was enough for now.

“… Jake. Dude. What the hell s wrong with him?” I was taken out of my thoughts by Embry’s constant nudging.

“What isn’t wrong?” Leah drawled.

“What?” I looked at them, annoyed at their prodding at me. I then noticed that we were missing some of them. “Where are Sam and Quil?”

Quil had decided to spend all day over at Stella’s house to be with Claire so I was pretty sure he should have been back by now.