Chatting With Emily (Ch 22)

This morning I woke up with my mind completely clear. Nothing at all was on it… except Jake. And Jake’s eyes. And Jake’s warm lips. And Jake’s hot body. And Jakes touch. It was the only thing I could think about as I get dressed, as I brushed my teeth, and as I ate my breakfast. And Emily quickly took notice of my distant gaze.

“Luce..” She sat down beside me. “What’s up? You’ve looked all dreamy since the morning.”

At first I didn’t really answer her, my gaze still fixated on my yogurt cup and a small smile on my face. Then she shook me which brought me back to reality.

“Huh? What?”

She leaned closer, her face slightly amused. “What’s going on with you, Dreamy Daisy?”

I laughed at the name and shrugged. “Just.. happy.”

She eyed me suspiciously but let the topic go, leaning back in her chair. “Alright…. Well I have to go to the store to pick up a few things. Are you going to be okay here on your own?”

I nodded, “Yeah sure.”

She got up and ruffled my hair as she passed, I got up with her and followed her stopping at the kitchen door.

“Hey, did Jake come by after I fell asleep last night?”

When I came out of my shower, there was nobody at the house except Emily. She told me that Jake had to go with the others to help Sam out and I was really bummed. I had expected to spend a bit of time with Jake, maybe even talk about what happened between us. But that didn’t happen. Today I was looking forward to doing the same thing- as nervous as it made me feel.

“Yeah, he left though when he found out that you were asleep.” She pushed her feet into her shoes and grabbed her purse off the hook.

“Did he say he was coming today?” I pressed. I had called him this morning twice, but his phone was off.

“Well I guess when Sam comes home, so will he.”

I nodded inwardly groaning. That meant he wouldn’t come home until five or so. She laughed at my reaction- I guess I didn’t do such a good job at hiding it.

“Don’t worry. He’ll be back before you know it.” She turned to the door but spun again. “Are you sure there isn’t anything you want to tell me?”

I shook my head, “Nothing comes to mind.” Expect that I’ve fallen hard for my best friend.

She shrugged and left, letting the door shut behind her. What I didn’t see was the knowing smile she had on her lips.

The rest of the day was completely uneventful. Being alone in the house kind of freaked me out because of that stupid movie I saw last week- yeah, I hadn’t really gotten over it. But I had a good strategy. I would always sit in an area where nothing could possibly come at me from behind. So that was why I stayed in the living room most of the day with all my design supplies laid out in front of me. I decided to keep myself busy by making a new dress, however it didn’t really go that way. When I sat down, I had realized I was sitting on a black shirt. I unfolded it and recognized it to be Jake’s shirt from yesterday. Which was weird, but whatever.But that’s how I ended up making a black dress shirt for Jake. I don’t know what gave me the idea, but I just let my mind wander as I worked and obviously the only thing I thought about was him. By around three o’clock, Emily came in holding many grocery bags so I put everything down and helped her. Once everything was unloaded, we went back into the living room.

“I see you’ve been working” She said with a smile, picking up one of my fabrics. “Did you make anything?”

I nodded and sheepishly held up the large black shirt.

“Wow, You finished it?” She was really surprised as she held it in her hands. “Luce, this is really good.”

“Thanks.” I muttered. I didn’t really know how to take compliments well. “I just have to put the buttons on.”

“You’ve certainly got a talent. He’s going to love it.”

I looked up at her, my eyebrows furrowed. “Who’s going to love it?” how could she possibly know who it was for? It really could have been for anyone. Like Sam.. or Quil Embry, Seth. Except it was a little too large for Seth. Ugh. Who am I kidding.

She smiled at me slyly. “The guy you’ve been thinking about nonstop for the past week.”

My eyes widened. What the hell? How could she possibly know this? I looked down and began to organize my things, escaping her gaze.

“What do you mean?”

“Please, Lucy. We’ve grown up together. I know you.” She walked around the table and put her arm around my shoulder. “Jake, huh. Nice.”

I groaned and sat down. “It’s that obvious?”

Well isn’t this just peachy. If she knows, then Sam probably knows…. Oh no. What if all the guys know? Jake wouldn’t tell them about our kiss would he? Agh.

Emily laughed. “A little.” I groaned louder, putting my head in my hands. “It’s nothing to be upset about!”

I didn’t answer her. I was too busy being embarrassed.

“And it’s clear he feels the same way.”

At this I looked up at her. “Really?”

She nodded. “Honey, he makes it more obvious that you do. And don’t think I haven’t noticed your constant touching since you’ve arrived.”

I felt my cheeks burn up. So they did notice Jake and my extra physical-ness. That’s really awkward to think about. Ugh. Why did this have to be so hard? Why can’t failing in love with your best friend just be easy. Oh shit. I just said Love didn’t I? Oh well.. let’s just add this on to the list of things to worry over.

“Why are you being so hard on yourself?” Emily laughed shaking me slightly. “This is a good thing.” She got up and headed to them kitchen. “you’ll see.”

What did she mean by that? I felt like Emily knew so much more than she was telling me, but I was a little scared to find out exactly what it was.

“Wanna help me with dinner? The boys will here in an hour or so.”

Wow the time definitely flew by quickly. It was already 4:55- I guess my mind and the shirt kept me really busy. I nodded and got, putting my things together and placing them on the stairs so I could take them next time I went up. I folded up Jake’s nearly done shirt and placed it on top of the items before heading into the kitchen. Emily had decided to make this Mexican enchilada dish so we both grabbed a pan and started working on our own. God knows we had to make more than one tray for these boys.

“Hey, Em?” I broke the silence as I mixed the filling. “What did you mean by ‘you’ll see’?”

She turned to me and back to her task, “Um.. I think Jake is going to be the one to tell you.”

I cocked my eyebrows at this. What the hell does that mean? Jake needed to tell me something?

“What do you mean? Is it something serious?” I was now worried.

“No.. well yes. But it shouldn’t be serious after he tells you.”

Ok. I was lost. She literally was making no sense. I gave her a confused look and she sighed. “Just wait for Jake.”

We didn’t really talk much after that; I was too busy thinking about everything she had said. My brain was seriously on overload. We finally finished up both of our pans and she placed them in the oven while I set the table for nine. Our table only took eight, but we were able to squeeze one more. And that squeeze was always me since I was the smallest. I usually ended up sitting near the edge between Sam and Jake.

“Oh, Luce you got some sauce on your shirt.” Em pointed to my side.

Ugh, she was right. There was a big glob of enchilada sauce right on my red t-shirt. I quickly ran upstairs, taking my things with me, and got pulled on a plain white t-shirt to go with the same dark jeans. I was fixing my makeup after seeing that my eyeliner had seriously smudged when I heard commotion from downstairs. The guys were home! I finished up and went down to a full living room.