Chapter Forty Eight

***

The next day was sports day for the fresh men. We had no lecture but only obligatory sports. So I can say we spent our day at the gym and round campus.
The gym was full as everyone did different types of exercises.

I was on the treadmill, jogging with my earphones on. It'd been long I had worked out. I had planned to call Kadij Koon Friday morning. I couldn't wait for it to reach.

I enjoyed the music while running on the carpet until Lucas appeared in front of my machine. I didn't stop running but just stared at him. He smirked and motioned for me to take my earphones off. I did.

"Good morning, Harlem." he said, smiling at me. I couldn't help it but smile back.

"Good morning, Lulu."

He raised a hand and caressed my cheek.

"Even when sweaty, you're still a hottie." he complimented.

"Thanks. All this flattery ain't for nothing. What do you want?" I panted and stopped the machine so I could rest a little.

He smiled and gave me a towel so I could clean myself.

"Well, I- I just wanted to know how your night was." he said nervously. I raised a brow at him.

"It was spectacular. I had a great time with Rick. And honestly, I didn't even get much sleep after what we did together." I cooed. Lucas looked at me, the smile on his face faded.

"Ar- are you serious?" he asked.

"Yup." I smirked and walked away, towards the soda machine that was at a corner. Lucas followed closely behind.

"Why are you trying to make me jealous?"

His question surprised me and I turned to him.

"What? You are not supposed to be jealous. We're friends who made the mistake of sleeping together."

"It wasn't a mistake. We- we both knew what we were doing." he muttered. I looked at him and saw that he was hurt.

"Right. But we shouldn't have. Lucas, I'm taken. Now that you aren't a virgin boy no more, you can get any girl you want. That's what you needed to boost your confidence, right? I helped you. Now do the rest yourself." I told him before turning and putting a coin into the machine.

When I didn't hear him speak behind me, I got my soda and turned to look at him.

"Luke, please, please, please, forget that night." I said and walked away.

Feeling guilty and horrible for having hurt his feelings, I went to the gym's locker room. There was no one there and so I sat on a bench there and sipped my drink. I tried to stop thinking about Lucas but it was hard.

I finished my drink and stood up to go throw the can. When I turned, I met him. He'd just entered the locker room.

"Geez, you scared me! What are you doing here?"

"I have something to ask you." he said, reddening. I knew what he wanted to ask.

"You wanna know what spectacular thing I did with Rick??"

"You know me well."

I rolled my eyes.

"We watched movies! There! You happy? We almost made love but didn't get the chance. Happy?"

I was surprised when he chuckled after I'd finished speaking.

"You're laughing?" I asked, surprised and slightly amused.

"Yes." he laughed, "You don't know how glad I am now."

I found myself smiling at the way he laughed things away.

"You're sick." I mused, shaking my head. He smiled at me and I smiled back. "But I'm still serious about the fact that you should stay out of my relationship."

"I'll try."

"Try?? So you're not sure of leaving me alone."

"Nope." he said reddening.

"You're a case. I'll probably start avoiding you."

"It's not my fault if I find you irresistible..." he said, shyly.
I found myself smiling at him again.

"Aaaw, that's so cute. But I better leave before you make me crack up with your puppy eyes. Bye, rich kid."

I got my towel and tried to walk past him. He grabbed my hand. I turned and looked him in the eye.

"What?" I asked. He stared at me silently.

I remained silent myself when suddenly Lucas ran his hands gently up my arms to my shoulders, then neck until he cupped my face.

I was supposed to stop him but I was suddenly frozen. Curious. I wanted to see what he would do. I wasn't supposed to allow him do anything but the way he stared at me. The look he had on created a soft spot in me I never knew I had.

I didn't know if it was his innocence or the fact that he seemed to be obsessed with me. Whatever it was, made me speechless and motionless.

He lowered his head and kissed my chin, my cheeks and the each side of my lips, like he was either teasing or hesitating. He brought his lips closer to my ear and whispered,

"Would you slap me if I kiss you?"
I knew he was hesitating and slightly afraid.

"I don't know. Try."

"I'm serious..."

"I might slap you if you don't." the words were leaving my mouth automatically. I couldn't lie to myself. I played the tough girl, I tried my best to remain loyal to Rick, yet Lucas had that something that attracted me.
He continued to trail soft kisses against my neck.

"Why can't I stop you?" I found myself asking, "Why do you seem different from the other guys I've known?"

He stopped kissing me and looked me in eyes.

"I don't know. All I know is, I'm ready to submit to your every command." he replied with a whisper, "I'm ready to do anything to have you, Harlem. I- I want to be yours, you know..."

"Maybe that's the answer..." I stared up at him, caught up in the moment.

He approached me and wrapped his arms around me. I held his face.
Without further ado, he lowered himself until his lips were on mine. And we were soon trapped in a passionate kiss. He was such a good kisser. He was so tender and gentle. So far, he was the only one who'd kissed me that way.

Lucas's arms loosened around me and I felt his hands on my butt. He slid them down to the back of my thighs.
I gasped when he grabbed the back of my thighs and lifted me off the ground. I wrapped my legs round his waist. He was strong, though he didn't seem like it at first sight. I remembered when he'd held me so I wouldn't attack that girl who'd called me ghetto bitch in class.

As we kissed, I felt my back touch the cold lockers. Yup, I was probably gonna regret what was about to happen.