Chapter Seven

I spent the entire day with Alec and I'd reluctantly come to like him despite my aversion to other people. I wasn't exactly a person who clicked with people easily, so I was shocked when we did. You'd think that having such similarly mischievous personalities would cause problems but it had the opposite effect.

When the evening came to an end, I realized that my mind had never wandered towards the life that had slipped too easily through my fingers. Relief from the weight of those thoughts plaguing me was short-lived; everything returned as soon as the door clicked shut behind me, the silence of my room hitting me in a weird way. The familiar resentment at my ability came back with a vengeance, doubling since it stole what little control I had over the life I managed to build for myself. Any hope of sleep was lost, my brain too consumed with thought to be shut off.

I breathed out heavily and turned in my bed again, blankets tangling in my legs. I stared at the ceiling accusingly. It wasn't the walls fault but the frustration was beginning to get to me. I kicked my covers off and tossed a pair of men's boxers on just to cover up. I tiptoed my way out of my room as quietly as I could, worried that someone was going to jump out at any moment and shove me back in my room. I paused, waiting for something to happen, and continued on my way when the stillness of the halls made it clear no one else was up.

The long dark halls filled with the tapping of my feet as I made my way through the twists and turns of the halls. I was sure I knew where I was going but when I made one too many turns, I began to get nervous. Thankfully, after making a few lucky guesses, I stumbled onto the library.

I hadn't actually seen the inside of the library with Alec. When I suggested going in he looked at me like I had suggested he voluntarily go abstinent just for funsies. I took that as a 'never happening' and decided to come back later.

I took in the tall shelves, books filling them to the brim, with wonder as a grin stretched across my face. Every wall was decorated from floor to ceiling with the spines of books. I eagerly explored the space, running my hand along the books as I passed them. Breathing in deeply as my eyes fell closed, I took in the smell of worn leather and old pages with a sense a fondness filling my chest.

Content, I continued further into the library, searching for a book to pop out and catch my attention. Narrowing in on the romance section, I bit my lip with a barely concealed giddiness and considered my options. I had a not-so-secret thing for romance books and I've always credited it to the dirty sections that inevitably gave me something new to try. Of course, it wasn't entirely the dirty parts that made me love them, but it would be a struggle to get me to admit that out loud.

I grabbed a book that looked particularly interesting and took up in one of the comfy chairs that furnished the library.

I wasn't even fifteen pages into the book when I felt myself drifting off, my limbs becoming heavy with fatigue. I let my eyes close and my hands go limp in my lap, welcoming the sleep that encompassed me.

* * *

Something gently shaking my arm slowly pulled me from the sleep I had been enjoying, a guaranteed way to piss me off.

"Touch me again and I swear, I'll tear your arm off and hang it above my door as a warning," I grumbled, still half asleep.

The touching stopped and I nuzzled my pillow, trying to get more comfortable only to discover the fluffy pillow was now a hard armrest. I opened my eyes reluctantly, meeting the blurry form of a shaggy-haired man kneeling in front of my face, watching me with a detached curiosity.

Right, library.

"Anyone ever tell you that watching a stranger sleep is just about the creepiest thing you can do?" I asked as I wiped the sleep out of my eyes and stretched, my limbs extending over the barriers of the chair.

He eyed me and tilted his head, "Has anyone ever told you that the library isn't for sleeping?"

"Actually, yeah." I smiled at the memories of breaking into libraries when I didn't feel particularly safe with the foster home I was at. I would read until my eyes got too heavy with sleep to keep open anymore. There had only been a handful of times that I actually got caught, but they were always worth it.

"But they usually don't know how magical libraries can be at night." I pushed myself up and pulled my legs from hanging off the side of the chair and crossed them under me.

He watched me carefully and settled himself on the floor with his arms resting on his legs in a purely male fashion.

"What're you reading?" He nodded to the book I had apparently been cuddling.

I held up the book with a half-naked man on the front and wagged my eyebrows at him.

His eyes twinkled with a moment of humor as he looked between me and the book a few times before shaking his head.

"What? Some of the things in here are just downright filthy. It's great." I grinned, watching as he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, trying to cover the small smile tugging at his lips.

"You actually read those things?" He asked, trying to recover even as he stared at the book, his expression one of apprehension.

Ah, poor guy is afraid of romance novels.

I pressed my lips together to keep from laughing and nodded.

"But... Why?" He looked genuinely confused as to why I'd willingly read the book.

"Did you not hear me mention all the dirty things they do in this book? I doubt I'm getting any while I'm here, so books are about as good as it's going to get for now." I pouted as the truth of my words hit me, sighing as reality set back in.

He studied me before breathing in deeply through his nose. He stared at me in silence for a few seconds and I started to tug on my shirt nervously. It was never good when that happened.

"What? Do I smell or something? I swear, I showered last night,"

He shook his head. "No. You don't smell. I just never thought I'd meet my new student like this."

"Oh, come on. You too?" I groaned and let my head fall back, wincing when it hit the wooden edge of the chair.

"I was starting to wonder if they dragged me here to teach a nonexistent student," he said as he stood, his hand combing through his hair roughly.

My head shot up and my mouth hung open.

Teach? Student? What?

"Go get dressed. You have to be back here in twenty-five minutes and I'm not forgiving to those who are late. Even if they are new."