Nineteen

I'm so tired. Ugh.

Eliana's POV

I sighed as I sat at the library table. I was staring into space as the girls sat around me, busy with their own tasks. I found myself gazing at nothing, while I was thinking about everything.

Bridgette had told Harry that she wasn't getting her bruises from anyone, rather, it was more from something. However, that just didn't make sense to me. If she hadn't gotten those bruises from another person, then how was it that Philipe had those same marks? Not to mention the fact that he'd flinch every time I'd come near him. 

A knock on the door to the library startled me out of my thoughts. I turned to find Peter, the curly haired six year old boy, standing at the entrance with a tray of tea in his tiny hands. His father stood next to him, smiling down at the little angel who wore a smile on his beautiful face. Once he met my gaze, he beamed brightly and it caused my heart to melt. I stood up and made my way towards them. I smiled at his father, to which he returned the gesture, and knelt down to meet Peter's eyes.

"Hello sweetheart," I greeted. He smiled shyly.

"What do you have there?" I asked, smiling at him.

"Tea," he murmured, pushing the tray towards me. His hands shook slightly as he struggled to balance the tray. I smiled and took it from him before walking back to the table. I placed the tray on the desk and walked back to Peter. He was teetering on his feet with his hands clasped behind his back.

"Can I stay with you?" he asked, staring at me with wondrous eyes. I smiled and peered up to his father who chuckled and patted his son's head.

"We musn't trouble the princess, son," his father said. Peter frowned slightly and nodded, turning to turn but I stopped them.  

"I think you can," I smiled, "I could use some company too." Peter smiled shyly and gazed up at his dad. The six year old took a couple of steps towards his father and lifted his arms up, silently asking to be picked up.

"Peter," his father sighed, before he bent down to lift him up.

"I will be on my best behavior, Da," he promised. I smiled and waited patiently. Peter placed a finger into his mouth while he watched his dad. His father smiled and pecked his cheek, to which Peter responded to by glancing at me and blushing. 

We laughed and soon Peter was set down before he slowly made his way towards me. Keeping his finger in his mouth, he used his other hand to reach up and grasp mine. I smiled down at him and looked back at his father who was watching the interaction with a smile.

"I'll look after him," I promised.

"Oh I have no doubt you will, Princess," he replied, bowing his head. I bowed as well. He looked at me with surprise and I wasn't surprised as to why. Normally, royalty would bow to royalty; not anyone less. But with me, that rule didn't apply. Equality for our parents was based on politics. But for me, it was a fundamental concept; it was what was human. 

He composed himself and smiled brightly at me before he left. I sighed and turned to Peter.

"Well, bud," I smiled, "I guess it's just you and me."

He grinned at me before he raised his arms. I smiled and bent down and hoisted the child into my arms before I carried him over to the desk. The girls were staring at Peter kindly and were making sure not to scare him by being too forward. However, Peter seemed to have other plans. 

As soon as I had set him down onto my lap, he began yapping away at Cimone and Stella. He called them beautiful to which Stella beamed and leaned over to peck his cheek. Peter blushed furiously after that and turned around so he could nuzzle his face into my chest. We all laughed at his reaction and he giggled a bit as well. After a while, he went back to chatting with the girls and eventually I had managed to find him some paper and a pencil for him to draw with.