Chapter Twelve

This is so beautiful! Thank you so much to BoredOfBoring for making this banner for me (:

If you're interested in sending your banner on for a special mention, my email is open! Midika36@gmail.com

Word Count: 1955

~Dawn

"Let's make a deal," I say firmly, planting my hands on the table in front of him.

Rylan looks up at me in surprise, clearly not expecting me to come down here at this time of night. The last time I saw him, we had been sitting on the bed talking about how he may not be a very good Alpha. Moments later, I must have fallen into slumber, since I can't remember a thing after that. Well, aside from the dream.

His silvery blue eyes glint in the lamp light. "A deal?"

"Yes," I breathe. "A deal."

His mouth twists slightly as he mulls over my words, then he motions over to the seat in front of him, careful not to spill the dark liquid in his glass. I take a moment before I back up, sinking into the seat without taking my eyes off his.

"You should be in bed," he says, raising a dark eyebrow. I shrug carelessly, trying to act as if crawling out of bed at midnight to find him wasn't difficult.

I'm still sick, however, he doesn't get the pleasure of knowing that.

"I'm fine," I tell him carefully.

He takes a sip of his drink, and I wonder what it is. Alcohol? I didn't think Purity Pack members were allowed to indulge in something that might tempt them into doing something...Sinful. I don't ask him though, as he sits forward. "You're not fine."

"You don't know me," I respond firmly.

"You act as though you aren't sitting in front of your mate right now," he comments, throwing back the rest of the drink before sliding the glass onto the table in front of me. Whatever is in that cup, it doesn't seem to faze him.

I grind my teeth together to keep myself calm. "That's what this deal is all about. If it can really be classified as one."

Rylan's eyes narrow. He's an Alpha who knows what he wants, and it will take a lot to sway him. There is no way he is going to agree to the idea I came up with when I first woke up. We are both as stubborn as each other, so I can assume there will be a lot of arguing in our future.

"Humour me, Dawn."

"I'm going to summon Fate, and he's going to change who my mate is," I say confidently.

Rylan is on his feet in a second. For the Alpha of Purity, I would have expected a fleeting moment of anger, before he righted himself and went over what I was proposing. However, Rylan picked up his empty glass, sized it up for a moment and threw it over my head, where it smashed against the wall behind me.

I gasp, turning around to see the glass shatter and fall to the ground in a mass of glistening crystal. When I twist around, Rylan has his back to me, his hands dug deep into his hair.

"What happened to you?" I question breathlessly.

I'm not looking at my mate. I'm looking at a changed man. I stand abruptly when he doesn't answer. "Was it Kaden? Did he turn you into this?"

"No Dawn," he muttered gruffly, turning around so I get a glimpse at the feral look in his eyes. "You did this to me."

I flinch, taking a few steps back. When I ran away for the year, I thought I had it worse off. I had no idea I would turn Rylan into someone completely unrecognisable. Does his Pack know about this? Of course they do, he's been terrorising them to get to me. A titanic amount of guilt I've been trying to fight off settles on my shoulders.