18. Hero

HARRY

I attempt to hide my trembling hands by intertwining my fingers on top of the desk in the great hall, King Edgar and his son, along with my father and a handful of advisers seated with me. I clear my throat nervously as they all stare at me, the only ones making this easier for me being my father who smiles at me supportively, Adrian who winks and gives me a thumbs up, and Joe who lifts his goblet of wine at me when I look at him.

"I shall just get straight to the point. The reason you are here today is my wish to contribute to both kingdoms and help the people who have no ruler to provide them protection. I believe uniting The Border; or Frontera, as the locals call it; with Solis would be the best option in order to fulfil that wish," I say in an even voice, making eye contact with everyone.

"Wait a minute, I fail to see how does you getting a new land contribute me?" King Edgar flatly asks, fingertips of his left hand tapping on the surface of the desk as he sits leant back in his chair.

"There wouldn't be a large gap between the kingdoms and we would be connected better than before. We are family after all," my father says.

"True," Adrian mutters, earning a look from his father.

"Then you wouldn't mind if I humbly suggest The Border unites with my kingdom?" King Edgar muses, a small smirk on his face.

"Then why not ask claim before? Why now when I clearly want the same?" I inquire, my eyebrows drawing together in a frown. This meeting has barely begun and he is already trying to turn things into his favour; I definitely wasn't expecting this.

"Because our father wanted the area to stay as a clear separation considering my big brother and I had a few... disagreements in the past," he replies, glancing at my father. "But now that you are suggesting it, I might as well offer myself as the ruler. Solis has a bigger territory already, even if I had that piece of land it would still be larger than mine. It is only fair."

"I think you don't understand the objective, I am doing this because I want to shelter the people living there and give them better lives, not to expand the borders of this kingdom," I explain, a forced smile on my face as I begin shaking my knee nervously.

"Good point," Adrian quips once again, wagging a finger at me with a smile while holding a drink in his other hand. One would think he would take his father's side in this discussion, but I'm glad he didn't. 

"I could provide them protection just as easily as you could," King Edgar immediately offers. "If that is your only wish, it matters not who fulfils it."

"Yes, but I also have a promise to fulfil..." I mumble and look at my father, silently asking him for help. I promised Amelia her homeland would fall under my claim, I cannot break it, especially since she is quite reserved and sceptical when it comes to my uncle.

"And why the sudden interest, brother?" My father demands as he straightens in his chair, a picture of authority. "All you had to do today was say yes so all the legal parts of our proposition would be satisfied, not turn this into an argument. My son has kindly offered something that benefits both of us, do consider it again."

"And I have kindly offered him another solution, matching the one he has suggested, but with a slight twist. I get the land officially, not you," he presses, obviously not planning to back away from this.

"But you would also get a lot of problems to deal with, such as pirates and smugglers, raiders lurking around The Border and with uniting it with your kingdom they could easily expand their illegal business there," I reason.

"You know, he has a point-" Adrian starts with a raise of his pointer finger, but a glare from his father interrupts him, making him lift his hands in surrender.