Chapter 21: The Breath Before the Jump

Well, she screwed up bad once again.

Pierce is going to murder me

The redhead sat still in her chair, phone pressed against her ear as she chewed the inside of her cheek, eyes widening as she talked with her main source, "I can't get into Firman's new room for another hour. I should've been notified yesterday."

The agent swallowed, looking up at the blank monitors which hadn't provided sound for her the last few hours since the target had been moved to the new room. Within that time, she'd disabled all of 'SHIELD's bugs' before the operative could place new ones. Now, she was blind to seeing into the room and had no idea if Firman had gotten the news. She had no idea what the Avenger was doing at all, "Yesterday we still had contact. Today, they just sent out a warrant for goddamn Captain America and Black Widow herself was seen exiting the building-"

"Not my fault you didn't have the common sense to tell me," The voice growled, increasing the ginger's growing anxiety, "She's been doing this since she was a kid. You'd think the woman would be smart enough to disable everything easily. I didn't even know she'd been moved until now. Hell, I didn't know about her first signs showing up until now. That's on you, Caris."

The woman's hold on the device tightened, thumb coming up to press against her lips. She took a deep breath, going back to comb her hair behind an ear as she doubtfully thought. A scowl came over the speaker, an irritable tone cutting her off before she could speak, "Now its all complicated. We have forces on the way to the hospital, and hopefully everything will pan out. If not, I have to fix the mess you created."

Her gut kept wrenching, Agent Caris finding words after a brief stumble, "And I'll assist anyway I can."

"You've done enough already. Have fun with whatever gutter job they give you after this." The speaker threatened, sarcasm flooding their speech as the jab bit into her mind, "Hail Hydra."

Caris stared blankly at the static screens before her, resisting the urge to throw up at the prospect of her punishment that would come. After a beat, she spoke devoid of emotion, hoping that would cover her fear, "Hail Hydra."

The call was cut off, and the redhead awaited her coming consequences.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I put my arm through the left sleeve of the dark leather jacket, adjusting the fit and freeing my hair from being tucked under it with a brief swipe of my hand, "Okay, I'm good."

Steve turned around after having his back face me for a minute, me now presentable after a quick change from my hospital gown to the clothes stuffed in the duffel bag. The feeling of new material on my skin beside the awful linen was one that was quite reassuring. Dressing once again in jeans and a jacket made me feel more like the woman I was before the disappearance; healthy and considered one of the best agents in my field of work. It was an odd confidence it provided, or perhaps I was just glad I could move freely again in pants.

And the concealed ICER on my hip's a nice touch.

Steve let out a breath, smiling at my new attire, "You look like you again. Well, besides being you of course. Just look more comfortable overall."

"Thanks. Boy, how I've missed leather," I grinned softly at his reply and my own image, going to check my new watch provided by Natasha, "Sounds like we got around three minutes to spare before black SUVs start showing up, correct?"

"And fourty-five seconds." He corrected, me glad for the long window of time to escape, "But we have to get to the exit point....right about now."