Chapter Thirty-One

Other than frequent migraines, Andy was having a swift and efficient recovery. According to Shawn, he had doctored on plenty of stab wound victims, most less serious than Andy's and she was still doing better in the recovery stage. Tomorrow, Andy was going to be allowed to go back home. I knew Andy was more than glad to go home. She always talked about missing the comfort of her own bed or her view from the balcony from the bedroom.

Shawn's clinic was his house as well, so the place wasn't poorly decorated but Andy's house did have a better vibe. The room Andy was in only had one small window and the view was of a neighboring house. It wasn't exactly scenic or what she was used to.

Andy was ready to get back home, but most importantly she was ready to get back to work. She was anxious about her new title as the head honcho. Though, she stated she didn't want it before, it was apparent that she was more than ready to claim her new position. Rafael would come in every day and give her a summary on what's going on and the day to day tasks of being head honcho. He made sure he gave Andy every single detail and Andy listened on with engrossment and sometimes managed to jot down some notes.

Rafael hated the job, but he thought it would be perfect for Andy. Just as her father, Andy was a phenomenal leader. She oozed with style, grace and respect. Getting people to side with her wasn't exceptionally hard and she was great at having loyal comrades. When her and Jimmy fought for the title of head honcho, nearly the whole room was cheering for her. When she went down, the whole room got dead quiet as if they were watching someone who they admired get beat to a pummel.

Under Shawn's orders, Andy needed a two weeks rest before going back to her gang duties. But once she got back in the system, I knew the Family was going to be thrilled to have her back and so would her friends.

"Check this one out," Shawn exclaimed with a chuckle full of pride. Andy was taking her daily nap. She slept a lot since the concussion. It was almost like she was elderly sometimes. Under Shawn and I's care, she would sleep, eat and take medicine all damn day. It was peaceful but I couldn't wait until she got back to her fully, energized self. Hopefully being back in her own home will make her feel more wound up.

"Whoa, dude, that's sick," I told Shawn as I quite rudely snatched his phone out of his hand. While Andy slept, I spent a lot of time with Shawn. I learned about him and his clinic and sometimes he would show pictures of his past procedures. Like so, the picture that was currently of his phone, was of some guy with his abdomen cut open. Shawn was there in his baby blue doctor's scrubs. Though he had a mask covering his mouth, I could tell he was smiling as he posed for the picture.

"Most of the time I'm treating people for wounds from weapons or because they did something terribly stupid but this patient needed an appendectomy. I removed his appendix and stitched him back up and he was as good as new within a few weeks," Shawn explained as he gently took his phone back.

Shawn made everything seem like no big deal. He made going into surgery seem like an everyday thing. If asked, he could spit out facts about nearly any surgical task but he usually kept things simple and sweet. He was easy to understand which was rare for someone of his caliber. Then again, Shawn was like a 20-something-year old doctor extraordinaire for gangsters so everything about him was pretty f-cking rare.

"Who the hell took that picture," I asked. I was here nearly 24/7. I only really left when Mia or Camilo made me leave and go have at least an hour of fun. They would make me walk around the mall or go grab something to eat other than Shawn's snacks since all I did was worry about Andy's health. When I was here, Shawn was the only caretaker. He had gotten a couple of other patients and he never had a sidekick or helper.

Shawn scratched at his beard as he gave me a polite smile. "I used to have an assistant that helped me out but she recently got into medical school. I'm really proud of her and I know she'll do well, but it kind of left me in a bind. I no longer have an assistant so I do everything by myself. Believe or not, but it's hard to find an assistant when you're an illegitimate doctor who aids gangsters when they get injured. It's hard to find someone you can trust, you know?"