148: Lea, their Master

The threat of the Apostles might be no more, but there were still loose ends from the remnants of the Metropolis. 

Lea no longer cared for the aftermath, for her search to find ways to retrieve Ingrid had found its conclusion. Unfortunately, what she positively hoped could never come true.

She left quietly, followed by Bright, Raize, Victor, Nia, Imhe and Russell who was followed by Lars.

Ulla had made her choice, and her journey ended with Ulyssis by her side. Although she was curious about the entity behind the 'Voice' that once spoke with Izaya, she didn't think she would get her answers any time soon. So she decided to remain and spend time with Ulyssis. Whether he would eventually decide to become the new Lord of Felicity Domain or not, they would be together.

As for Kiel, he wanted to follow Lea but when he turned to his father who was now old and weary, he felt his heart torn. He needed to stay to support his family, and help stabilize Eden Kingdom once more. Especially now that the number of people increased, along with the people of Drakon.

Meanwhile, by the time Yun Na noticed, Lea was gone and it was too late for her to catch up. So she awkwardly remained seated, while sticking to the mercenary whose name was apparently Liam. She felt they were both outsiders, and decided to stay by him for now.

Liam did not really care. He felt rather lazy, but truth be told, he just wanted to know how the King of Eden was gonna deal with the refugees. It would be too pitiful if the children were to end up in a worse situation than before.

After all this time, Liam was still Liam. His care for the young remaining genuine and pure. Though a bloodthirsty mercenary he might be, he had his priorities right.

Lea quietly trudged outside Rathir manor, feeling the warm light from the sunset. She felt slightly liberated, slightly suffocated and slightly lost.

[Ingrid...] She thought. The three Spirit sisters didn't know what to say to comfort their friend, so they could only release comforting warmth that made Lea look dazzling. Her features seemed to glow faintly, causing her surroundings to turn warm.

Raize approached her from the back and said, "The Rathir brothers are here, do you wish to get answers from them now too?"

In that moment, Lea swiftly turned to eye Russell. While the latter was busy pushing away his brother's affections, she cut away their sweet atmosphere with her words.

"Why did you kill Mr Hughes?" Her tone was placid with coldness that could cause a person's heart to tremble. She was mad while being expressionless, but it was obvious from her pursed lips.

At her question, Victor's attention was caught. He whipped his head towards her instantaneously, while his heart was suffused with warmth that almost made him break. Lea did really care for him... No matter how indifferent she might seem to appear, her heart was not frozen nor heartless as others might think.

Russell was looking conflicted by his brother, like some easygoing youth. However, as soon as he heard Lea, his expression turned deadly. He didn't mince his words as he replied.

"Because he was in the way."

"Of what?"

"He.." He softly laughed. "He was working against my operations. Of course I'd have him killed."

"Working against the Apostles?"

"Exactly, clever girl."

"...." Lea narrowed her eyes at Russell, before saying, "Then I'm sorry, but you cannot live without atoning for your sins."