Chapter Eight

Just a warning, Harry curses a lot soooooo hehe
___________________________________

Carter's Point of View

I sat there, letting the silence engulf me as I felt my eyes drooping. And for a brief moment, my eyes closed. A dark and disoriented face appeared in my mind, causing my eyes to snap open in fear. I let out a heavy breath and looked around me. Harry wasn't back yet and I had no idea where he was exactly.

I shivered and hugged myself, whispering things that could possibly keep me even the slightest calm. I jumped in fright as I felt something hit the side of my head. I looked down, picking up the small rock as I stared at it. I flung it back into the dark, waiting to see what would happen. It was dead silent and I was getting anxious.

I scooted further away from the dark as soon as I heard a low growl. A larger rock-about the size of my hand-tumbled towards me. I picked it up, immediately dropping it as I felt it burn my skin. It was the oddest thing and clearly not usual. I shook my head as my hand began to sting with pain.

My head snapped to my right, hearing heavy footsteps come from outside. I quickly stood up, fearing it wasn't Harry. But as soon as I saw the curly hair, I felt relieved. I took short notice that he was limping over to me. "A-Are you ok?" I asked, meeting him half way.

"I'm fine, really. My leg's just giving me pain, ya know," He shrugged.

"You should check to see if there are any marks," I told him. All he did was shrug and lean his back against the wall. He eyed the grey rock on the floor and furrowing his eyebrows, he spoke up.

"What's that?"

"A rock," I replied.

"No shit," He rolled his eyes. "I'm asking where you got it."

"I don't know. . . It just appeared out of the dark and when I went to pick it up, it burned my skin."

His eyes widened, the size of a saucer. "You fucking touched it?!" He yelled at me in a whisper.

"I'm sorry! It was a stinking rock, I didn't know they were supposed to be as hot as the sun!" I yelled back, lifting my hand to examine it. He walked towards me, taking a hold of my red and purple hand, running his index finger along my numb palm.

"We're screwed," He said in a hushed tone.

"What? What does that mean?" I frantically asked. He slowly lifted his gaze and stared straight into my eyes.

"We need to get out of here. Now."

• • •

"C'mon," He whispered, dragging me down the vacant sidewalk.

"I still have a question," I whispered back. He sighed, which told me I could ask my question. "Why did we leave the tunnel because of a rock? This devil you are talking about, maybe it will come after us and make us pay or something."

"It's anything but a rock. Don't be ridiculous, Carter."

With that much helpful-not really-answer, I closed my mouth and stayed silent. After a block or two, he suddenly started to laugh.

"You're awfully quiet. What's the matter? My answer not good enough for you?" He seemed quite amused and I simply rolled my eyes.

"I was just hoping to finally get an answer-"

"Well, you won't be getting one," He snapped, leaving me to keep silent the entire time. "We're not staying here too long. We gotta go back soon."

I felt like I was going to be sick. Here I thought we were escaping the tunnel for good. He told me I was his cure, his escape from the horror. I shook the thoughts, trying to clear my head. My eyes caught a small shop window with TV's displayed.

There was a picture on every TV. When I realized who the picture was of, I began to furiously tap Harry. "What?" He grumbled. I pointed across the street to where my face was shown on each television set. He caught a glimpse of my picture and jogged across the street with me slowly trailing behind.

"Stay back," He whispered, watching the news on one of the TV's. I sighed and nodded, keeping my gaze on the screen. You couldn't hear the words the reporter was speaking, but the headline stated my name and the date I went missing. "Fucking great," He shook his head, stomping towards my direction, roughly grabbing a hold of my wrist and dragging me further down the sidewalk. We turned into what looked like an alley.

"We are staying here until dawn. Then we will move on," He stated.

"Where are we going exactly?"

"I'll tell you when you are asleep," He answered.

"But I'll be asleep. How would I be able to hear you?" This man is difficult, honestly.

"Figure it out yourself," He shrugged, sitting next to the big and smelly dumpster, resting his head against it. I nearly gagged by the stench and went to sit next to him. I pulled my legs up to my chest, shivering as the cold wind swept by.

"How are you not cold?" My teeth were practically chattering and he showed no sign of his cold being, whatsoever.

"It soothes me," He mumbled, poking the leg that he had been limping on. I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

"You are one weird man, Harry."

"Good."

• • •

Just like Harry said, we woke up at dawn and started our journey further into the town.

"God, I miss this place," Harry chuckled, staring at the closed bar.

"You hung out there?"

"My pals would always get me drunk and I'd usually hook up every night. Now, nobody dares to talk to me, ever since I was emitted into the ward. Fuck that place. Fuck this whole fucking town." His smile slowly turned into a grimace and his hard expression was back. He stopped and for a short moment he slammed his foot against the brick wall, letting out only a bit of his anger. "God dammit," He groaned, closing his eyes and taking in the pain spreading through his foot.

"You ok?" I whispered.

"Fine. Perfectly fine," He opened his eyes and continued the walk, glaring at all of the human beings walking past us. They stared at him in fear, clearly knowing who he was.

"Harry, I think people are starting to realize who you are," I whispered.

"I don't care," He told me. I sighed, hiding my face from everybody. I could just run away from him and head back home. I could tell my parents I'm still alive, no longer missing. But, he knew too much about whatever this is. He knows the tricks, when to warn me.

I jumped in fright, loud sirens coming from somewhere very close. "Oh, shit. Run," He told me. Surprisingly, he could run without limping and as I ran with him, the sirens were getting closer.

"How do you know they are coming for us?" I asked, panting heavily. He ignored me and turned the corner. I looked behind me, realizing the cops were following us. "I don't want to go to jail! We need to stop running, Harry!"

"They aren't here to put us in jail." He took my hand, leading me into the woods that sat just a few miles past town.

"Then why are they chasing us?" By now, I was sweating and my hair was sticking to my forehead. We eventually slowed down and after a few minutes had passed, he finally told me the reason.

"If they catch me, I go back to the asylum."

"What about me?" I asked.

"You? You're going too, babe."

___________________________________
Author's Note -

Man, I keep ending the chapters with Harry's words hahah.

*sigh* I could write this fan fiction all day.

By the way, on my Instagram » @/_Makayla_xx I posted a lame video edit of this book, WOOHOO! Yeah, only me-I hope not.