CLIV - The Usual

Chapter One Hundred & Fifty-Four

"Klaus, will you calm down for just a moment?" I asked.

The man was pacing back and forth, panicking so much that I was surprised his own mind hadn't imploded yet.

"It was him," he growled. "It was Gaspar Cortez."

He was very much insistent that he had seen an old enemy, who definitely a bone to pick with Klaus. He was afraid, and he had a right to be. I still wasn't entirely sure that Gaspar was here.

Freya sighed, now clearly exasperated. "I assume this is someone from your box of letters?"

"The youngest son of a particularly vile family of warlords I dealt with in the 17th century," he said, attempting at justifying his actions.

"Didn't they burn that philistine pigsty to the ground?" Elijah asked, disgust in his tone.

"Pigsty?" Klaus scoffed, looked very, very appalled with his brother. Or, to be more specific, Elijah's lack of taste. "Beluga was my favourite artist retreat! Someone had to pay for that, so I murdered Gaspar's brute of a father."

"And?" I continued. "Don't sugarcoat it, Klaus."

"And one or two-"

"Five, actually," I interrupted.

"Five of his bloodthirsty brothers," he said in an even more annoyed tone than before.

"Don't forget the mistress," Elijah hummed.

"That was an accident!" Klaus shouted, clearly offended.

Elijah rolled his eyes and looked to Freya. "The point is that Gaspar was but a footnote."

"Until he became a vampire, hell-bent on hunting me," Klaus muttered, swallowing nervously. "He's a cunning deviant, known to compel hoards of the helpless to aid him with his tasks."

I suddenly felt it. A surge of power that ran through me. Someone powerful was near. Someone who seemed similar to two of the people I was standing in a room with. Could it be...?

I didn't warn them that I was leaving, just suddenly bolted down to the courtyard. I didn't pay attention to what they had said afterwards, only focusing on the person I hoped was downstairs.

I saw Davina standing there, but knew full well that the power was not coming from her. It was something else near there. And then the puzzle pieces all fit together.

"Davina..." I whispered, walking closer to her. "You... You did it, didn't you?"

Klaus sped downstairs and pinned her against a support beam by the shoulders. I was too caught off guard and surprised at what Davina had done to stop him.

"Klaus!" I shouted in anger.

"Rather foolish of you to come here alone," he hissed at her.

I saw a figure out of the corner of my eye, coming through the gate and watching Klaus angrily. The figure came around the corner, grabbed Klaus by the neck, and tossed him backwards across the courtyard. He went flying right by me, and landed on the other side. Klaus got to his feet and took in the man that I was now seeing, seeming absolutely stunned.

"She didn't come alone, brother," Kol smirked.

While Klaus stared at him, not seeming to know what to do, Elijah and Freya came downstairs.

I went right up to him and hugged him as tightly as I possibly could.

Kol let out a soft grunt of pain. "Ease up, will you Rose?" he laughed a little. "I think you've forgotten you're a hybrid.

I let go of him and pulled away. "God, I've missed you," I said, my eyes almost brimming with tears.

I had missed him so much. I had tried so hard to find a way to bring him back, but I hadn't had time to fight for him. Not with the prophecy. I felt a pang of guilt, but I was also content. He was home now. He was finally home.

"It can't be," Klaus whispered from behind us, still not quite able to believe what he was seeing with his own eyes.

"It's Kol," Davina said, stepping in to attempt at mediating. "When I broke your sire link, it created a surge of power."

Freya gave Davina a cold look. "You stole the nexus vert."

Davina rolled her eyes in frustration. I didn't blame her. I would be too angry too. The Mikaelson's seemed more angry than grateful.

"And brought your brother back from the dead," Davina argued.

"You should be thanking her, really," Kol said.

Surprising everyone there, Klaus lunged forward and hugged Kol tightly. It both pleased and shocked Kol, who then turned to Elijah when Klaus pulled away.

"Hello, Elijah," he said, smiling.

"You haven't aged a day," Elijah mused.

Kol turned to Freya, frowning. It was clear that he didn't recognize her.

"And you...?"

"Freya," she said, giving him a half-smile. She was not offended that he didn't know who she was.

"Right. Long-lost older sister. Speaking of twists and turns in our family tree, where might Rebekah be?" Kol asked, genuinely curious.

"That's a long story," Klaus said, glancing around at all of us. He didn't quite want to share it yet. "And one reserved for family. Davina can see herself out."

Kol was thoroughly annoyed as well as confused. "Are you-"

"As per usual, our family faces a multitude of threats," Klaus said, cutting him off. "The sooner you become acquainted with them, the better. I won't have you distracted."

"By Davina?" Kol asked. "You know, if you could only pull your head out of your-"

"Kol, it's okay," Davina stepped in, looking over at him. "I'll go."

She turned and walked away, only to have Kol call her name and walk after her. She turned back to him, smiling while he just looked a mixture of ashamed and disappointed. Probably slightly disappointed in his family, but mostly in himself for needing to stay and leave her alone for a while.

"You can make it up to me," she insisted.

Kol smiled back. "And I will. Dust off that fancy dress, 'cause tonight we're going dancing."

Davina grinned. "Okay."

The two kissed goodbye before Davina leaved, and we were all a little surprised by his tenderness. I was pleasantly surprised, though.

Kol had changed. I rather liked it.

He turned back to us, a slightly dreading expression on his face. "So, what exactly have you gotten yourself into?"

"Oh, you know," I hummed from beside him. "Killing almost an entire family, realizing it was a terrible idea, now being hunted by a man - one of many, by the way - who wants Klaus dead. The usual."