n i n e t e e n

Aspen's POV:
People say your life flashes before your eyes before you die. Well mine did, except it wasn't my whole life and it wasn't me dying. I thought of all the moments I was with Carl. From when I went to the hospital with Rick to see him being born to when I walked with him to his first day of school.

As his lifeless body fell into my arms and I held him, all I could about was how I would never see his smile again. Or hear his laugh. I heard someone screaming and I thought it was Rick.

Then I realized it was me.

"Carl!" Rick sprinted to us and grabbed his boy from me. I began to sob as a heavy set man ran up to us.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't see him! I was trying to shoot the buck and the bullet went straight through!" He scrambled to explain himself to Rick and Shane.

"Do you have a camp?!" Rick practically yelled at him.

"Yes! Right out of the woods and across a field or two." The man said quickly. "Ask them for Hershel and tell them Otis sent you."

And just like that Rick was off with his son limp in his arms. Shane was right on his heels. I stood there in shock until Otis turned to me. "Are you going to go with them?"

As I snapped back to reality I realized I was standing in the woods alone with a man I did not know. I didn't acknowledge him as I just took off, sprinting after Rick and Shane.

As I ran I thought about how easily it could be me right now lying in Rick's arms hanging onto life by a thread. It should be me. I should have been there to protect Carl, and yet he was shot right in front of me. He's my little brother and he could be taken from me in a matter of hours.

After it seemed like we had run across the continent, I saw a white farm house a couple hundred yards away. I could see Rick struggling with Carl and I ran up to him. "Give him to me." I told him. My voice cracking with emotion.

"What?" He looked at me with disbelief.

"We don't have time to argue. Give him to me." Rick stood there baffled, and I just gently took Carl from his hands and put him on my back. I held his arms around my neck like I was giving him a piggy back ride. My legs and back groaned in protest, but I pushed through the pain. If I didn't do this, Carl might not survive through the night.

I took off sprinting again. Rick tried to keep up, but he soon feel behind. I continued to sprint but the farm house didn't seem to be getting any closer. It was like it was a mirage that was just taunting me. It wasn't until I felt that my legs would give out that I finally passed a gate that surrounded the perimeter of the farm.

I could see lights on in the house, shadows moving around inside. I could almost feel my heart exploding out of my chest as I tried to keep my legs from crumpling so close to my goal.

I pushed even harder and I finally reached the stairs, bursting through the door. I looked around. "Help please! Hershel?! Is there a Hershel here?! Otis shot my... my... brother and he told me to come see you! Please help!" I screamed as I looked around, frantic.

A white haired man burst out of a door. He analyzed the situation quickly, and swiftly started to gather things from around the room. "I'm Hershel, bring him into the room back here." He motioned me to follow him into a room to the left of the door in entered from. I quickly followed him and set Carl down gently on the bed. Rick burst through the door soon after and ran into the room.

"Please... help him... my son... I... need him..." Rick stuttered, trying to get words out between breaths. Hershel turned toward Rick as a blonde haired lady ripped Carl's shirt open.