Chapter 3

Scarlett

 It's Saturday around 8 pm, two days since move-in day, so the initial tranquility of the hall has been replaced by constant noise. Spalding Hall is alive now and buzzing with excitement and the possibility of new opportunities. I can't lie - I'm feeling the same way. New places do this to me. I could probably take on the world- after a nap and real food.

I've been laying in the same spot since I woke up this afternoon. I haven't left the bed, so I'm still in some black terry cloth short shorts and a thin white tank. Juliette wasn't here when I woke up, so I didn't feel pressured to get out the bed and make myself look decent. I didn't even leave the bed to eat. I finished off a box of pop tarts that was on my night table earlier in the day.

Note to self: Buy more pop tarts and possibly some other type of actual food like an apple or something.

  As always Juliette comes running into the room, disrupting the peace. The girl seems to never slow down. This is another reason on my ever-growing list of why Juliette and I will never, ever be friends. I think of myself as laid back, chill, mellow. I just go with the flow, but Juliette, on the other hand, is anything but. She's the uptight, prissy, "better than thou" type. Plus I'm pretty sure she's on something. There's no way she's always this full of energy.

"Scarlett, are you dead? You haven't moved since I left. Crap I hope you're not dead. My reputation would be ruined. I'll be forever known as the girl with the dead roommate all throughout college. Fuck I might not even be able to get a job because of it." Juliette comes over to my side, most likely with the intention of shaking me awake.

"Nope, not dead," I mumbled, keeping my eyes closed before she has the opportunity to touch me.

But I wish I was.

"Great, now you can go to the party with us. Hurry up." She starts pulling clothes out of her closet. Leaving me confused and annoyed, But mostly confused.

Party? What party? I don't party anymore. It's definitely not the move for tonight.

"No thanks. I'm not really the partying type." In all honesty, I just want to continue laying here, take that nap and maybe find some Ramen Noodles to eat.

"I don't care if you're not the partying type. This is the first big party of the year, so you know it's going to be lit. It's going to set the tone for the rest of the year. Plus only upperclassmen are allowed, so it's exclusive. You have to go."

"If it's so exclusive then why are we going? Did you forget that we're freshmen aka not upperclassmen? And I don't have to do anything." Annoyed I roll my eyes at her and her demands. I pull my blanket up closer to my face, hoping that she gets the memo that I want to sleep.

Who does she think she is telling me what I have to do?

"My bestie Lauryn's brother is one of the guys throwing the party, so we're guaranteed admission. We'd be the only freshmen there. Think about how cool we'll be. Please just come. Please." Juliette starts whining, and all it's doing is irritating me. Juliette shows no signs of giving up, so I give in.

  I did say that this was going to be a new start for me.

"Fine whatever I'll go, but I can't guarantee that I'll have fun."

Juliette just smirks and says nothing else as I begrudgingly get out of bed. I give myself a quick sniff.

Okay, girl ew.

                    ~**~

A shower, toothbrush, and flat iron later I'm ready to go. I'm wearing a ribbed mustard yellow cropped top; light wash high waisted mom jeans and white converses. I shrug on an oversized tan cardigan. At this point, I'm going for comfort over style. My makeup is pretty simple just a little foundation, eyeliner, and my signature dark red lip. I straightened out my usual kinky curls, and I give myself an overdramatic hair flip in the mirror. I look pretty decent for a girl who just wanted to sleep and eat cheap noodles.

Juliette comes out the bathroom wearing a dark green crop top and matching mini skirt that's a wrong move away from being indecent. The mass of curls on her head is left intact and she a has a bit too much makeup on but who am I to judge. Us women should build each other up not tear each other down. Her silver glitter cut crease, falsies, and unblended contour isn't going to hurt anyone. 

"Is that you're wearing?" Juliette asks me while pushing her boobs up in the mirror. Her reflection looks back at me in disgust. So much for not tearing other women down.

"Yep." I reply, trying my best not to roll my eyes at her. Living with her is going to cause my eyes to roll right out of my head.

She gives me a once over and just shrugs "Okay whatever. Let's get going. The girls are outside waiting." She turns on her heels and wobbles out of the dorm. I roll my eyes and follow her out.

Outside standing by a cherry red Lexus are two girls, both equally as attractive, skinny and white as Juliette. They may or may not be the girls in the pictures plastered all around Juliette's side. Besides those physical attributes, the girls look nothing alike. One is a short blonde with wavy curls, crystal blue eyes, and a set of breasts that have to be fake. There's no way that, the little stick over there can naturally have those perky double D's. She's giving me some strong southern belle vibes. Not sweet innocent southern belle, but more like bitchy southern belle with a confederate flag on the front of her families reconverted plantation that's "been in the family for generations." Like Juliette, she's wearing on a crop and skirt set but in navy, and way too much makeup.

Why don't these girls blend their contour?

The other girl is a pretty brunette, that's supermodel tall. She has to be at least 5'10," and that's in her flat gladiator sandals. Her eyes look like the meeting of two vastly different oceans, a dazzling combination of blue and green. Unlike the other girls who are dressed like professional party girls (not that I'm judging, the outfits are cute), the brunette is dressed like she has no one to impress, which is 100% possible because she's stunning. Big (but not huge) eyes, defined cheekbones, and full lips. If I were into girls, I'd definitely go after her.

Hell, I'd probably still go after her.

She's wearing a floral dress and a jean jacket. Her straight dark brown hair is pulled back into a high ponytail. Don't get me wrong, all three girls are attractive, like supermodel attractive, but you can tell that the Brunette was the "pretty" friend of their group. Not in the "Hollywood starlet" type of way but the "girl next door who doesn't see how pretty she is" way. If I had to guess she was the one who pulled all the guys that wanted to settle down and have an actual relationship, not just an occasional fuck.

As Juliette and I approach the Lexus, I see the blonde is taking a multitude of what looks like selfies and the brunette looks like she just wants to leave, but she gives me a smile and a wave when she sees me. The blonde keeps taking selfies oblivious to our presence. The Brunette is probably the most laid back out the three, and if we had to be friends, I wouldn't mind.

"Hey, ladies," Juliette says greeting the girls. I'm awkwardly standing beside her, thinking of ways to get out of going to this stupid frat party.

"Hey, Juliette." Both girls say in unison.

"Who's that?" The blonde says, acknowledging my presence

"Oh, this is my roommate Scarlett. She's coming to the party with us tonight." 

"Hey. Hope you guys don't mind." I try my best to reign in my RBF (Resting Bitch Face), so I won't scare them off, but it's proving to be difficult.

"No problem. The more, the merrier. I'm Lauryn by the way." The Brunette flashes me a smile, not one of those fake ass smiles that make you feel like shit because you know that they are only doing it because they are obligated to do so, but a genuine smile. I return the gesture.

"I'm Heather. Can we go now? I'm trying to get drunk."

    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Lauryn's car up above