Chapter 16

meanings and torture  | 16

He meant it?

Harriet wanted to squeeze her heart and wring out all of the useless hope she was feeling at those three words.

Meant what, exactly? Did he mean that he didn't like her right now? Or that he actually did like her, in second grade?

Or maybe...

No, Harriet screamed internally, stopping herself from sinning. Why are you on the verge of tachycardia? Harriet get a hold of yourself.

As she followed Daniel onto the stage in a daze, the only thought on her mind was the fact that Daniel might have just told her that he liked her. Or not.

And he remembers that night? Harriet was incredulous. She stared at his back, secretly marveling at the way his backbones made her want to sing a song in their name.

He knew all along, that sneaky bastard!

Harriet was dying for a sign. Or a clue. Something that would explain his words, something that could help her read in between the lines. She wanted to know, so bad, what he meant. But when she stared longingly at his face, all she got back was him smiling serenely. Like he didn't feel anything at all. She almost felt paralyzed, hating how she was battling between so many emotions.

If only she knew.

If only she knew that he was sweating like a monsoon under his shirt. If only she knew that underneath his cool smile, was a wobbly sense of confidence.

Harriet opened her mouth, on the verge of spitting out the question that haunted them both.

The music started.