Double-O-Seven (Ch 35)

LUCY POV

Nerves. It was evident that was all I was feeling as my shaking fingers pulled the buttons on my sweater in place. It was probably my third try at it, each time misaligning them. Finally, I seemed to have gotten it right and stood in front of the mirror, taking in the image reflecting. I had decided on an argyle type print sweater and a black miniskirt. I wish I could have worn flats, because that would have looked best with the outfit, but it was just too cold with the late November weather so I decided on my black boots to go over some nude tights. This choice of clothes probably seems very detailed and planned- and it was. It took me about half an hour this morning and nearly all day yesterday to figure it out. I asked Jake for his help, but after a few groans and “babe. You’ll good in anything,” I decided to give up. Boys…

I smoothed over my skirt once more and fixed my hair again. It was all down with a black hairband holding it all back except my bangs. Checking myself one more time, I grabbed my shoulder bag which was basically empty except for a pencil case and empty folders and left my room.

The house was still pretty dark, which kind of surprised me seeing as I wasn’t used to being awake this early. I softly went down the stairs, being careful not to wake up Sam or Emily and set my bag down on the couch before heading to the kitchen. But when I walked in, I could see Emily’s hunched over silhouette on the table. She was fast asleep, resting her head on her arm, snoring softly.

“Emily.” I whispered, nudging her. She merely muttered something softly and turned to face the other direction. “Emily!” I hissed, poking her this time.

“HUH?!” She jumped in her seat, her head whipping up.

Naturally, as whenever I woke her up, I jumped as well and screamed. “My God! What is it with you and waking up?” I smacked her arm.

“What?” she looked up at me through squinted eyes.

“Em.. Go back to sleep, what are you doing up?” I sighed.

“It’s your first day, I wanted to see you off.” She mumbled, resting her head again.

I giggled at her incoherentness. “Em, go to sleep. Jake will be here any minute.”

“Mmmk.” She almost crawled out of the kitchen.

“Wait!’ I stopped her. “How do I look?” I spun around showing her my outfit.

“Awesome.” She grumbled without even turning around.

I narrowed my eyes at her, hands at hips and shook my head walking over to the fridge to grab a water bottle. For a second with Emily I had forgotten all about my nerves but now here they were again, making the bottle shake with my unstable hands. Calm yourself Lucy. Seriously. It’s just school.

“Knock Knock..” The familiar deep voice of my boyfriend broke me from my thoughts.

I turned to the doorway where Jake was standing clad in my favorite black button down, his sleeves neatly rolled just past his elbows and dark jeans.

“Good Morning, babe.”He gave me one of my favorite smiles and pushed himself off the doorway. His eyes traveled over my body as he whistled softly. “You look amazing as always.”

I smiled thankfully and wrapped my arms around his waist, burying my head into his lower chest. His arms immediately circled around me, his hands rubbing my back.

“You okay, baby?”

I shook my head, inhaling his strong cologne, instantly feeling the nerves slowly fade. “I’m nervous.” I muttered.

“Aw, babe don’t be nervous.” He kissed the top of my head.

“K.” I muttered, closing my eyes and moving my head to the side, just enjoying his warmth.