Jeremiah DeLuca (Ch 40)

“Oh bio how I loathe thee.” Kim sighed as we entered out Bio room after saying goodbye to our boyfriends.

“Are you going to complain about it every time?” I made my voice more high pitched, imitating Kim from earlier—even though my usual voice was much more high pitched than hers.

“I haaaaaaate this class!” she whined, sounding just like me before calc. “And we have a lab quiz I heard.”

“Ugh” I grumbled as we went separate ways to our seats. Unfortunately Kim and I sat on opposite ends of the room. Since I had come later in the semester, I had disrupted the even number of the classroom. So that meant I was thrown in the back of the room (not complaining here) with my own lab table. The set up of the classroom was two to each table but I had the privilege of really spreading out. Unfortunately whenever it was time for a lab, which was twice a week, I was forced into another group. And let’s just say after finding out that I had already taken Bio I… and II, everyone felt the need to leave all the work to me. And it just about sucked.

The bio teacher Mr. Dillard came in holding a ridiculously high stack of papers that overflowed from the box it was set in. A few papers flew behind him as they slid off the top and he made no move to pick them up. Just being here two and some weeks I had already gotten sick of the man’s lengthy lab quizzes. I had yet to take one of his tests that I can only imagine will be about seven pages long. But not to worry, I will find out on Monday. Nothing like studying while on Thanksgiving break. I hated that man.

I began to zone out as he started to speak, no doubt about the lab quiz. The usual, “pencils only, keep your eyes to yourself” crap that nobody ever followed. They were more like partner quizzes every time (even thought Dillard was none the wiser).

“So welcome him to the class.”

My head snapped up to where the teacher stood, but he wasn’t alone anymore. My breathing hitched right in my throat when my eyes settled on the large figure beside the stubby man. He was looking confidently at the class who of course was already whispering things. His hands were deep inside his pockets, his shoulders squared. I quickly looked down at my vandalized table top before he got the chance to make eye contact with me.

“There’s an empty seat in the back with Lucy.”

Damn you, Dillard. Damn you.

“Lucy, raise your hand.”

I hate you, Dillard. I was the only table with an empty seat. He knew where to go. And yet I slowly raised my hand and looked to the front where the doppelganger was already beginning to walk over.

My face began to heat up again as he looked at me, the same amused look on his face. He took a seat in the stool, tugging on his sleeves and placing his hands on the table. I tried not to stare but couldn’t help it. So I took a few glances through my peripheral.

“So we meet again” I turned to his smirking face. It was the first time I heard his voice. And it was probably the one thing that didn’t even closely resemble to Jake. While Jake’s was deep and smooth, his was like a melody, soft and inviting. It kind of reminded me of Edward’s except a bit deeper.

“Uhm, yeah. Hi. Sorry about earlier.”

He chuckled, “It’s fine. Apparently I do look like some other guy around here.” Up close I could see that his eyes were a captivating shade of grey. Not even gray, more like a blue with almost silvery flecks within them. They contrasted greatly to his tan complexion which only helped make them even more striking.

“Yeah” I nodded, glad that he knew that I wasn’t crazy.

“I doubt he’s as handsome as I am, though.” He leaned in with a wink.