Chapter 3: A first time for everything

"Did you have to shoot her?" Obi-Wan sighed deeply, throwing another branch to the floor in annoyance. He was sitting on the moss, staring at the woman they had captured. After Anakin had stunned her with the blaster, they had carried her towards a better place and laid her down on the soft moss. They had already bound her hands together and sat her up, her back leaning against a fallen tree behind her.

"What else did you want to do? Run after her for another whole hour?" Anakin shot back, pacing before her unconscious body. He looked around himself, at the tall trees that towered till far above him, the whole network of branches that wove through all the trees, the soft but dense moss that covered everything and had lots of tiny white flowers in it. There was also a small stream close by, they could hear the water rushing down and crashing against the stones.

"At least we wouldn't have had to carry her." Obi-Wan rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, well, maybe we should've just killed her, or shouldn't have chased her in the first place."

"That's where you're wrong." Obi-Wan stated and walked towards her sleeping figure. He knelt down on one knee and used the other to lean his elbow on and stroked his beard thoughtfully, looking at her delicate features.

"What do you mean?" Anakin followed the jedi master with his eyes and stopped pacing.

"Look at her, Anakin, and tell me what you see."

"I see a woman." Anakin scoffed but received a glare from Obi-Wan. "Fine." He huffed and knelt down beside his friend and started examining the girl. "Ripped clothes, dirt covered skin, red hair."

"Look closer, Anakin." Obi-Wan ordered. "I don't think she's an ordinary girl."

"Mmh." Anakin hummed and narrowed his eyes to concentrate. "That chestguard looks special, made out of feathers yet... seemingly indestructible. Looks expensive too, with the metal shoulder plates. And..." His hand went out to her belt. "Adamentium armor, that's not something you see on everyone." He glanced at her wrist plates.

"Or anyone." Obi-Wan added. "It's the rarest metal in the whole galaxy."

"There's also some kind of sigil on those wristguards. Looks like... a bird?" Anakin lifted her arm carefully and examined the metal plate.

"I noticed that too." Obi-Wan stated. "It's a griffin. I thought that the species had died out already, but I did hear something about it being the sigil of this planet's royal family."

Anakin's head shot up as his eyes found Obi-Wan's. "You think she's royalty?" Anakin lifted one eyebrow.

"I don't know. Everyone here could wear it seeing they worship their leaders. But our friend here is presumably someone of great importance since she's wearing a lot of expensive gear."

Anakin nodded and stood up. "What if she is? It doesn't matter to us, anyway. We still need to recover the weapon and kill all the rebels. She, who knocked out our troopers, is definitely one of them."

Obi-Wan sighed deeply, hiding his face in his hands in shame. "Where did I go wrong?" He mumbled quietly. He then turned towards his friend, looking at him as if he was a child. "We can negotiate with her, maybe even form a treaty. She's of more value to us alive than dead."

"She didn't seem to want to negotiate." Anakin shrugged and crossed his arms before his chest. "I don't think she ever will."

"That's because we were and are still attacking her city."

"Because they stole a weapon of mass destruction and were probably going to use it to destroy the senate."

"We don't know that." Obi-Wan said.