Twenty Four

Chloe's P.O.V

My boss is so obsessed with his dead wife, I feel pity for him. He looks so sad and rejected. He looks totally different from his pictures.

I wake up late today. I slept late and I just hope he doesn't fire me like he said he would if I come to work late.

I quickly take my bath. Within forty five minutes, I grab my bag and off I hit the road.

Luckily, I am right on time to board the bus.

As I step into the publishing house, all I was praying for, is I wouldn't meet him around.

God being so good to me, he isn't around. I sigh before entering my office.

I sit looking through the stories that needed to be edited.

****

It's almost lunch break. This is when I spend quality time with Eunice. Today is Friday and mostly I close from work early. Mostly after my lunch break.

"Hey, did I keep you waiting?"

"No, I also just arrived. So how is Daniel?"

"Yesterday oh no this morning, he met me sleeping at the office...it was almost one am. He made it clear I'm not important to him or the company."

Eunice smiles while patting my back.

"Why don't you tell him how you feel? It will save time you know."

I let out an uncontrollable laughter, hoping she'll join but she didn't.

"That man hates my guts. And besides it's just a crush. Do you know the number of girls crushing on him? He's not even interested in them. How much more this little innocent girl?"

"Oh come on. Do you wanna bet? Elvis and I can work our magic. And you are a beautiful young lady. Every guy will kill to have you."

I blush. This lady always find the exact words to corner me. She smirks as she sees my face.

"He doesn't even let me go close to him. He will never see me as a woman though."

"Seeing you? Elvis and I can set a dinner up. Four of us."

"If you definitely don't want your dinner plans with Elvis to be ruined, don't invite us. He'll probably knock the table down, the moment he sees me."

"Why do you think he hates you?"

"I have spent not more than months here, and I know what he's capable of saying and doing to me."

"That's so much like him. He's like that. That is his normal behavior. That is his way of expressing how he feels."

"Exactly! He's angry with me for no reason."

I pout and before I could realize, tears were falling from my eyes.

"Sorry I didn't mean to cry. Just that it hurts...so much."

Eunice nods. She takes her phone and after minutes of clicks, she puts it in her bag.

*****

Daniel's P.O.V

I go through the thousands documents in front of me. I wonder what Elvis is doing in his office.

Oh here he comes.

"Hey, where were you?" I fake an angry face so he'll take me seriously, but it all goes down the drain.

"Having my lunch. Since you refused to go, I brought you this. Eat it and continue."

"Sure, thanks."

"There's this beautiful girl I met in your company who is she?"

"Chloe Dante?"

"Is that her name?"

Oh goodness. Now Elvis is going to know I have been thinking about her.

She's also not the only new employee we hired. There's no way out of this.

"Why staring?"

"Staring, no? I'm just wondering, since when?"

"I don't think about her. It's just that everyone talks about her since she arrived. They say she's almost the prettiest in the company."

"I meant since when did you read minds. I didn't even describe her. And besides..."

Oh great.

"What are you trying to say? Just spit it out, I don't have that time."

"What do you think about her? Isn't she pretty?" He enquires, more like teasing in an unusual way.

Yes she is. Wait, where did that come from?

"Everyone says she is. I guess so. And besides, there's nothing like an ugly girl," I reply, sitting calmly into my chair and looking at him with a smile on my face.

"I see. But don't you want to meet her? As in get to know her personally? She's a nice girl."

I have been keeping my cools since he entered my office. If I over burst, he'll know how I feel.

"I'm surprised you are not over bursting," he spits, holding his hands up, telling me he didn't say that so I will do that.

Now what!

"If I want to know the whole employees at work, I think I will waste every minute of my life," this excuse is smooth.

"I hear. Eunice is inviting us over to her apartment...for dinner. Wanna come?"

"She'll have my head if I don't," and that's true. That girl is crazy.

****

Chloe's P.O.V

After lunch, Eunice drags me to her apartment asking if I could cook. Sure, I love cooking.

She goes out to buy the groceries while I change into one of her clothes.

It's not the first time I have been to her apartment. The first time I did, I felt like I had memories I couldn't remember.

I sigh as I take my mind from that.

She comes back with a lot of stuff.

"Why so many? And I thought you'll spend more than an hour."

"Oh there's a grocery store just around the corner. And we are having two other people...joining us."

"Oh. Your boyfriend and Elvis."

"Hmmm, Elvis is my boyfriend," her voice laces with pride and admiration.

"Really? I knew it! You two look good together."

She smiles and nod with her eyes wide open.

"OK, so let's start. I'm going to help you cook. But I'm not cooking. And before you start, let me warn you, the two joining us are the best chefs I have ever known."

I laugh.

*****

Dinner is set. Eunice gives me a dress to wear. I look beautiful in it. She smiles at me.

"You look beautiful," I compliments her as I see her walk out in the blue-black dress.

"Not so bad yourself. Why are we dressed like this? Are they so important? As in those joining us?"

"Trust me, you'll thank me later."

As we put a little make up on, Elvis's voice screams her name.

"They are here. Let's go."

I follow right behind her. She moves without warning.

And before I realize, I am staring at a pair of gorgeous eyes which stares back into mine.

Why is he here?

****

Thanks for reading. Hope you liked it.

Don't forget to leave your comments, I love reading them.