43: Beasts Overcoming The Lands

In the silence of the woods, a beautiful girl could be seen walking side by side an equally outstanding looking youth. Although they looked picture perfect for one another, they were by no means in a romantic relationship and neither were their actions similar to such.

Out of nowhere, a small dagger flew straight at the girl's left ear. However, in the split second it was about to stab her ear, the girl dodged. But a few strands of her hair were not safe. 

Without a word, they continued to walk.
Without a word, another dagger flew straight at the girl, but this time, it was aimed towards her back. 

Once again, she dodged 2 seconds before it stabbed through her.

They continued to walk in the wilderness without a word.

  ◆ ◇ ◆ ◇◆ ◇ 

A group of six were being chased by several different kinds of beasts. Some beasts would sometimes be distracted by the other kind due to their natural prey to predator relationship. However, there were never enough distraction for the six to feel relieved.

With every second, a beast with powerful strides would reach out to the last member. But every single time, an element would appear to deflect a claw, a tail or even razor teeth from chipping away the beast's target. The elements fired would sometimes be of ice, earth, fire and lightning. They were not adequate for defense, but they sufficed for giving a few seconds of distance.

They have been running for a much longer time than they thought. Their adrenaline have brought them a far longer distance than they could imagine. However, there was no sign of relent on the beasts' side. All sorts of their kind chased after them.

With their escape, many more beasts were drawn in the fray and started chasing them as well.

When they thought it was turning out hopeless, a gust of wind blew their back. Right after the windy push, a slippery ice rink appeared on their feet. And with that, they slid away across the wilderness that had abundant trees and plants.

When they were at the boundary between the wilderness and a barren land, the beasts were no longer at their back.

Everyone then looked at Imhe. "Thank you, Imhe..." Ulla gave her gratitude as appropriate.

In between her hard breathing, Imhe nodded as she couldn't speak. Kiel on the side patted Imhe's back for a job well done. His meaning properly understood by her, they simply smiled to one another. Although their thoughts were vastly different, the cause was the same.

".....Sorry." Her voice so small, nobody would have thought of having heard it. But Kiel did.

He softly knocked her head with his fist. "Everyone, we apologize for the trouble we've caused. I hope you would still allow us to guard your back after this."

Before anyone could say a word, Imhe moved forward and held Kiel's hands. "Of course! Of course, Sir Kiel. Even if the outcome was very terrible, I would never want you to leave us defenseless!"

Glancing at Imhe, Ulla sigh. "Why do you say that all of the sudden, Kiel?" Her tone quite strict, but clear. It resounded in everyone's ears.

Kiel looked on Ulla and bowed curtly. "Fatima here can summon lightning without chanting a spell. So the incident last night and of today were her doing. But please don't blame her. I hope you don't..." His voice had a tinge of pleading, and Ulla understood his meaning.

"No problem. I'll just detain the cause." She replied while holding Imhe's wrist.

Raize let out a sigh and arranged their bags that have been disorganized by the chase. Kiel gave Ulla a grateful smile.