Chapter 14

ʚ¡ɞ

I run downstairs screaming, "Micky" and jump at him. He catches me and swings me around before setting me back down. Giving me the best bear hug.
"Hey mouse how are you" I smile at my pet name.

When I was little I was obsessed with mickey mouse. And since his name sounded similar I would call him Micky while he would call me a mouse as i was small. It has since them became our permanent identity, the only name we will use.

"I am good" I lean on the center table.

Seeing him here, standing and smiling down at me; I realize just how much I have missed him and also how much my life has changed since he left. I suddenly want to blurt out everything that is going on to him and make him take care of it. Because that's what he does. That is who he is. 'No matter what Micky will take care of the mouse' has been engraved in my mind ever since I was 4, its the very foundation of our relationship. My big brother, my sometimes infuriating big brother; my hero.

I look in his deep gray with a hint of green eyes; eyes like our grandmother's. I see the light laugh lines he has. The signifier of his ever happy persona. That is yet another reason why people are afraid of his anger because he is always ready for a good laugh so when he is pissed you know its bad; hide for a cover bad. That again reminds me of the horror that is waiting to burst free on the first opportunity, considering the situation that is of our family at the present.

I try to calm the growing bubbles in my stomach. I can't drag him in. I refuse to do so. He doesn't need to always hold my burdens besides he seems so happy I would go back to hell then see a frown on his face. So I settle in for another hug. He warmly ebraces me,"missed me that much?" He jokes. I look up at him and ask,"did you?"
We stare for a second and than both push each other away making a disgusted face.
"Nah" we say together and then burst into laughter.

"By the way..was it Sara I just saw sneaking through your window?" He chuckles.

"Maybe"

"You two having a little girl on girl action" he winks and I feel awkward.
"God no....why would you even..?" I shake my head before it starts conjuring images of that horror. Not that I have anything against that topic but we are friends, sisters even and straight and that is just weird to think about.

Micky throws his head back and laughs, "wait she still doesn't has that silly crush on me, does she?" He asks with a smug face.

"Wait you knew she had a crush on you?"

"Course I did. That girl has been scowling and throwing punches at guys since preschool but was always giggly and nice around me. Even a blind person could see her heart eyeing me" he shakes his head chuckling and picks up his duffel bag, "I don't blame her, no one can resist a fine specimen like me" he throws yet another wink behind his back and I pretend to gag. 

He than starts making his way towards the basement and I sense panic getting a hold of my body. I quickly block him and then put on a sweet smile to not look weird.

"Where are you going? Did you forget your room...its upst-" he cuts me off.

"Yeah I know I was just gonna stash this old sports gear in the basement. Won't be needing them since I bought new ones." He tries to move past me but I block him again.

"I will put them..you um..go get fresh...you look tired" I try to take it from him but he doesn't let go.

"Its fine I'll put it" he says.

"No I said I will put it" I try to snatch it from him and we break into a tug of war.

"What is the matter with you rose let go"