Chapter Nine

North

I couldn't fucking believe my eyes. The not yet fully grown dragon swooped down and landed in a patch of bloodied wildflowers. Fire shooting from its gaping snout and engulfed the closest shadows. My stomach clenched tight and my heart began to race in an ungodly speed.

"Sang!" I bellowed. "Get the hell away from there NOW!"

She didn't listen. She continued to fight, unaware of the danger she was in by being so close to the savage creature. She must have expected it to be one of our dragons. I damn well wished that were the case. There was no way in hell us four could defeat a Tenebrous on our own. 

"Hurry up, we have a big fucking problem." Panic laced my tone as I sent a message to Rivka.

"Almost there." Her smooth and feminine voice responded. The rest of my team was probably already on their way to us. Their own dragons would have sensed the problem from mine and immediately got in contact with them. 

"Is that what I think it is?" Luke visibly shuddered, his face turning pale. Gabriel was practically catatonic and was rooted to his spot beside us. We knew we were in big fucking trouble when Gabriel had no curses to spew.

"Get him out of here," I ordered sharply. "I'll grab Sang."

Luke nodded his head and turned to Gabriel, grabbing him by the shoulders and shaking him to gain his attention. Another thundering roar shook the ground beneath my feet and I covered my ears with the palms of my hands. 

"Sang!" She wasn't paying attention. Her face was contorted in bold determination as she swung her blade in a deadly arc, leaving the demon that lunged for her decapitated.

I fought off the remaining two demons, reaching her just in time. The Tenebrous spun around and cast its flashing blue eyes directly at Sang. I stood stock still while holding my breath, hoping to look as small and non-threatening as possible.

The dragon took a step closer, its warm breath fanning across my face. In a flash, my left hand grabbed hold of Sang's while my other hand pointed the tip of my blade in front of the creature's face.

Next thing I knew, the tiny, yet strangely strong female flipped me over her back, throwing me face down into the dirt with one of her hunting knives pressed against my throat. "Don't you dare," she snarled dangerously.

If only my brothers could see me—eyes wide and jaw dropped with my life literally in the hands of some girl.

"What?" I choked out. What the hell did she think she was doing? She was going to get us both killed. "Do you know what that is? We need to go."

"That's Gideon and the next time you point your blade at him, you'll be nothing but a corpse in the ground," she replied darkly.

Oh hell fucking no, I thought to myself. I tried to save her ass and this is how she repaid me? All females were the same—crazy...selfish...confusing—wait.

Gideon? 

She called him by name? But that would mean...all air escaped from my lungs and if it was even possible, my eyes widened further. She couldn't be a rider could she? Her wrist bore no mark and with her being female, it shouldn't have been in the realm of possibilities.

I grunted. "You can let me up now, I won't harm him." The dragon snorted through his nostrils, as if to say 'you could certainly try'.

Warily, Sang removed the knife from my throat and took a step back while she crossed her arms over her chest. I hopped back up to my feet and retreated a few steps. I glowered at her, not liking the fact that she had taken me down so easily. Catching the look, Gideon, or whatever the hell his name was, made a hissing sound and wrapped his tail around Sang's form to pick her up to place her behind him.

She made a squealing sound and batted at the offending tail with her hand and muttered underneath her breath, "Stupid dragon."

Like waking up from a trance, her eyes snapped toward me and instantly turned horrified. "Oh, gods. I don't know what came over me."

I just grunted and looked over my shoulder to see all of my brothers emerge from the trees, looking out of breath. Once they took sight of the shadow corpses and the blood splattered ground, their faces instantly paled. I couldn't blame them, it was one hell of a fight and we were lucky to have made it out with hardly any injuries.

All at once, they turned their attention to the Tenebrous and paled even further. Noticing that he wasn't attacking, they kept their hands close to their weapons but were careful to not draw them, and after a moment of observation, most of their expressions were either filled with wonder, fear, or uncertainty. 

Owen's glacial eyes landed on Sang, who was standing in front of Gideon, glaring right back at him. The dragon nudged her with his head as he tried to push her away from us. She flicked his snout and scowled. "Stop it."

A sharp voice ringing with command finally spoke. "Someone better start talking."