What We Stand To Gain

*Chapter Seven Remastered*

Hello everyone! From now on, this novel is undergoing edits. At the top of every chapter, if you see the little stars that means that this part of the novel has been remastered. It will NOT always be faithful to the original. In addition to grammatical edits, there will also be revisions regarding plots, characters, and locations to make this a neater and more coherent story to follow. The blurb has also been remastered. All original chapters will be LOCATED AT THE VERY BOTTOM in case you want to compare changes or reread anything! Thank you so much for your love and support and I hope you enjoy What We Stand to Gain Remastered!

*****

Winter never lasted very long in Canta.

In one week spring swooped in and melted away the last remnants of winter. Vivia sat on the back porch, a thick knitted blanket wrapped around her shoulders, as she watched the moon travel across the sky. Anxiety was eating away at her. Luc had spent the day in town with Tomas settling his affairs and making plans to travel back to Calais. Only nine days had passed since his fall and already his stitches were healing nicely. But Vivia knew there was only so much she could do for him with her limited supplies and experience. She wasn't a real doctor.

Not like the one he'd probably have back home in Calais.

Vivia knew that if he really was going to get any better he would have to come. His return to Calais couldn't be delayed any further. She always knew this day would come but that didn't mean it didn't hurt any less. Her mind kept wandering to what he said to her while she was sewing his wound back up.

"Vivia," he'd said in his drunken stupor. "You are the most beautiful creature I've ever seen."

She covered her face with her hands. Every time I look at you I think of the emerald circlet my mother used to wear when I was a child. I picture how lovely that family heirloom would look on you.

Agna's drunkenness taught Vivia long ago not to take what anyone under the influence said, seriously. Secretly she resented Luc for telling her those things. It would only make it harder for her to eventually say goodbye.

Luc spoke very little about the arrangements he'd made with Tomas. Almost like he wanted to disappear one day without a trace.

The back door and Vivia didn't bother looking up. She knew Luc's footfalls and when his shadow appeared in front of her, she knew it was him.

"You've been very quietly lately," he said.

She glanced at him. "Have I? I'm sorry."

"You've barely spoken to me these last few days."

"I've just been very tired."

Vivia picked up her lantern and Luc caught hold of her wrist as she tried to walk past him. "I meant what I said about Calais. I want you to come with me."

"I'd much rather you not make promises you don't intend to keep." She replied.

"What—?"

"I saved your life and you pushed me out of the way when those horses went wild. Your debt has been paid." She forced a smile and stepped away from him. He dropped her wrist. "You no longer have any obligation towards me, Luc. I just want you to go home and be happy."

Luc followed her inside. "I don't understand—"

"There isn't anything to understand."

Luc opened his mouth to speak but decided against it. He put one hand on the table behind her, boxing her in. "All I said was that I hoped you and your family would come to Calais one day. That's all."