Chapter 8

Before heading to the pet shelter, I decided to quickly dip back to my house and grab two daggers. Pan had sheathed them with a certain poison that he hadn't explained to me, but I guessed it would do the trick.

Rolling back my lips, I strolled through the wasteland of the Underworld, with people walking past me completely and utterly obliviously. It was strange to think that some...didn't have their soul, whereas Pan, Hercules, Felix, myself and others...did. It just kept adding to my pile of questions I doubt I'd get answers to.

Taking a deep sigh, I saw the shelter's logo and headed in its direction, keeping my eyes peeled for any curious behaviour, but so far so good. I glanced over my shoulder before gently placing my hand on the door, opening it slowly and causing a chime to go off. Unlike before, I remained silent and my hand snaked itself to one of my daggers, my eyes flickering about to make sure I was good to go.

But it felt as if...nobody was actually there. It was dark and hued red like most of the buildings in the Underworld, but an unsettling silence cloaked itself over the store, an uneasiness. Refusing to lower my guard, I raised my chin a bit and took cautious steps until –

An arrow head flew straight past me and having the experience on Neverland, I dodged it smoothly. My eyes snapped up in its direction but alas, there was nobody there. In one swift movement, I unsheathed my daggers and held them at-the-ready. Another arrow headed my way but again, I dodged it perfectly without doubt.

"You really are a lost girl."

The voice was a girl's voice, calm but serious with a touch of amusement. When she revealed herself, I could make a solid guess who she was. She had fire-orange hair that gleamed in the red hue, a black attire that made her seem like a shadow, a bow unlike the ones I've seen in her hand with a metallic quiver flung over her shoulder. My lips pursed and the grip around my daggers tightened. "Pathetic." And with that word, she tried too shot again but I rolled forwards, throwing my dagger in her direction with a swift flick. She jumped to the side, dodging it as skilfully as I had been doing.

"What the hell do you want?" I sneered, the two of us getting to our feet like our little stunts hadn't just happened. She wore a smirk that ceased to frighten me.

"I'm surprised you don't know," she girl sneered before throwing some sort of pellet onto the ground. Within a couple of seconds, the room was filling up with black smoke but all I did was grin, remaining still and quiet, listening...judging...

Just a I was about to feel her attack from behind, I flung my head backwards, head butting her in the face before rolling forwards, turning around and throwing my dagger once again. She missed and growled angrily, only just seeing her shadow as she scattered to another part of the room.

"Your pettiness is entertaining," I snapped, standing up all and staring at her body's outline. She suddenly threw her bow and quiver onto the ground, whipping out two daggers of her own; I couldn't help but grin again. Show time.

She charged forward and our daggers clashed together, the smoke in the room starting to fade and reveal the determination on her face. Pushing our weapons against one another, she sneered, "you won't win."

"Cliché," I snapped amusingly, pushing forward with force and bringing my foot up in a single movement, crushing it into her stomach. She fell to the ground but in the same process, skidded back up into a standing position before lashing out on me. Clang, our weapons met in perfect equilibrium again.

"I admit, you're putting up a good fight," she giggled and with a clenched jaw, I ducked just as she applied force, the girl rolling over me and thumping onto the ground. Turning around, I went to throw my only dagger but hesitated, having a better idea. Quickly turning on my heels, I ran in the direction of her abandoned bow and arrows. Hearing her growl behind me, I grabbed the bow and a single arrow, dodging a flying dagger as I loaded the bow. Ready, set, aim! I let the arrow fly and to my surprise...she caught it. Just like...Peter. "I died trying to kill Pan, I won't fail again."

My eyes widened, my mind becoming startled; my hand dropped the bow in shock. Wait...she knows Peter? What's going on? Who is she? But that's what her plan was – to distract me and...

A red puff of smoke exploded in front of me just in time to catch the arrow, blocking and saving me. I knew who it was instantly.

"This isn't her fight, Jane," Pan sneered, angrily snapping the arrow in-half before throwing it to the side. Jane? So it is her. But...how do these two know each other?

"It became her fight when she involved herself with you."

"Your tactics are messy. You knew you wouldn't win against her."

Jane growled again, sneering as she sheathed her two daggers.

"You took my life from me. So in return, I'll take what you value most."

"I won't let you hurt her," he sneered back, raising his arm as a sign of protection in front of me; Jane chuckled once.

"You shouldn't have so much confidence in yourself, little boy. You don't have your pack of boys to protect you now."

"I don't need such quims, Jane, and nor do I need your empty threats," Pan grumbled and I could hear him becoming more and more agitated by the minute. I held my breath, watching helplessly from behind Peter. I was...intrigued, confused as to what was even happening.

"If it wasn't for Felix, you would have died from my blade. I'm surprised you're still smug, even in death."

"Watch your tongue, girl," Pan yelled through a clenched jaw and I placed my hand on his shoulder, almost as if to remind him I was here. And as hoped, he body released tension at my touch.

"Let this be a warning. Next time, I won't go so easy on your precious princess."

And just like that, Pan kicked the fallen bow in her direction and she picked it up, heading out in silence.

+++

"Why the HELL won't you tell me what's going on?"

Pan and I were back in my house. Like an upset child, he sat on the couch with folded arms and refused to look in my direction.

"You don't need to know."

"I do, Peter. None of this makes sense to me."

"It doesn't have to."

"For god's sakes," I groaned, rolling my eyes; he got to his feet and tried to approach me, but I pushed him away and held my hands up. "No, you need to explain everything."

"Just trust –"

"I can't if you don't tell me things! Remember how that last worked out for us both? We died!" I yelled and I could feel my chest tightening, my fists balling. Pan sighed in defeat and rubbed his forehead tiresomely. I waited patiently, the silence taking over us both for a couple of minutes until he unravelled my fists gently with his hands, taking mine in his own.

"Serena..." he started, swallowing down the lump in his throat. "Before you arrived on Neverland, I was rather...disliked by a certain...group of people."

"Group?"

He nodded once, dropping my hands and returning to the sofa. I stayed standing, folding my arms and waiting for him to continue.

"The gods weren't happy at my...trade." I knew what he meant: his son for eternal life. "It defied nature and balance to the realms. Jane was a rogue, stealing crown jewels and whatever she could get her hands on, and the gods took a liking to her skills." As he kept talking, the grip on my arms slowly loosened and I made my way over to the couch, sitting beside him. "They gave her the gift of immortality but in return, she'd dedicate her life to killing me." What? Shrugging, he finished, "she did – almost. Felix saved my life before I took hers the only way I knew how. Crushing her heart... She was the first person I ever killed."

I lowered my head, swallowing down the lump in my throat. I didn't know what to say exactly so I placed my hand on his knee, squeezing it gently. "If she worked for the gods before death, she must be working for Hades now." I nodded. It makes sense but...

"Why would she want to kill me?"

"To make me suffer your death all over again," he said softly, almost choking on the last few words. Sighing, I placed the back of my other hand against his cheek, rubbing it gently. His hand took hold of it before placing a kiss on my knuckles. "And I won't let her." I smiled.

"Good."